Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're a couple of displaced Idaho trout anglers now stuck in Seattle and working way too many hours. We have a long weekend coming up (4 days) the third week in April and we're looking for a good, wadeable stream that's fishing well at that time of year.

Any thoughts?

Our hope was the Grande Ronde or the Wallowa River, but it looks like steelhead season is just ending and trout season hasn't started there at that time.

We're boatless, desperate to huck some dries into a river, but (damn!) that's the only weekend we have until July.

We're begging for help!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Perhaps the Yakima River?? I think the flows should still be down enough, but others will probably weigh in about that. Of course that's a couple of hours away.

Unfortunately for me, when I was going to school in Idaho, I wasn't a flyfisherman. I have since repented of my evil ways, and am even a flyfishing evangalist of sorts. My recollection of Idaho is a lot of smaller streams, that I'm sure brim with trout if you know where to fish. The Yakima seems a bit bigger, and sometimes featureless. But I think in April the dams are still holding water back for the upcoming irrigation season.

Another option is taking the long trek to Rocky Ford (3 hours or so). Its probably similiar to Silver Creek in its difficulty?? Pretty slow water and picky fish. Its not hard to poke these brutes with your rod tip, but catching them is the whole adventure.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I feel your pain - I am also displaced from Idaho myself. I havent cast to any normal trout for a while. The Sea Run Cutts are fun, I fished for them once and they put up a good little tug. Fishing out here, as you well know is WAY different from Idaho. The west side rivers are all anadromous. From what I have learned, the trout fishing is mostly in lakes around washington (east side), the Yak, and Rocky Ford. I would guess the Yak comparable to the Henry's but I have not fished it. I dont have the regs at the moment but if the waters are still open - there is always steelhead to chase. Some people have told me about the Little Deschutes near olympia, but from when I looked at it - its comparable to fishing the Portnuef between Inkom and the Res. I didnt bother to fish it. You may be limited to some of the lakes and the old trusty float tube. Wish I could help more, but I am in the same boat. I will just go back to the Home waters in ID when I want to catch some trout. Good luck

·
Registered
184 Posts
Without a doubt, head to the Yakima below Ellensburg IF flows are reasonable. That is prime time for March Brown and Blue-Winged Olive hatches and the best dry-fly fishing of the year. You may see some grannnom showing up at that time too. There is camping at Umtanum Recreation Area and Red's Fly Shop, where you can get the latest scoop. Spring is the best time to fish the river IMHO and is the only time of the year that I make a point of fishing the Yak regularly. You can avoid the crowds by fishing mid-week.

If the river happens to be out during your visit, head east on I90 to the desert lakes near Vantage/George. You should be able to get some dry fly fishing in during callibaetis and midge hatches. Nunnally, Lenice and Beda are all good if you don't mind company. There are lots of other lakes in that area that don't get the pressure but offer great fishing. Have fun.

-Crock

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Just a thought, though it's not the upland spring creek experience; why not head to the saltwater and try your dry flies on sea run cutthroat trout in the estuaries and beach areas? Streamers in baitfish patterns, clousers, humpies and adams, parachutes, mostly size #6 and under for the streamers, size # 8 and smaller for the dries. I like a small shrimp or scud in size #12, olive, with black mono eyes, dead drifted off a floating line and long leader. At that time of april there should still be plenty of immature bait around, close to shore, and some hungry sea runs too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The Yak. Check with the Evening Hatch in Ellensburg for which section of the river is fishing well and what flies are working. I've had success at around that time fishing golden stones with droppers (which usually consist of an assortment of caddis nymphs.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.