Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about the challenge of fishing for and C&R as many species of Char & Trout as one can catch in one weekend. So far, I think within 100 miles from Seattle it's possible to hook up on Cutties, Bows, Easterns, Brown and Goldens & not sure if the Montana blackspots are a sub-species but can find them too. This would be lake fishing only so excluding other variants like sea-runs, Dollies (unless there's a lake with legal fishing opportunities). I would like to include Grayling but that's a dedicated trip unto itself so won't bother trying to put that on the plate for this quest. Have any of this sites readers purposely set a goal of trying to catch such a wide variety of fish in say a weekend worth of time?? I'm definitely going to do this later this summer but have never heard of anyone trying to pull something like this off. And no, I don't think I need to be moving / fishing 20 hours a day to do it. Whatcha all think? Zane

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Catching bows, cutties, brookies, and whitefish (is you want to count those) in one trip is pretty common. And I do like to catch a variety of fish. I just don't think I'd be in to that kind of thing. The old guide rule of 'never leave fish to find fish' is a hard one for me to overlook at times (sometimes the fishing is just that good and you need a change a pace, but usually not...).

Have you considered including the salt. Then you can have steelhead (maybe), cutties, bulls\dollies and a variety of salmon as options.

How about different strains of the same species? Rainbow\Kamloops or Lahotton(sp?)\west slope\src, etc?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I learned from another flyfishing website that there are apparently 11 different native species of trout in California, and that you can actually win some sort of prize for catching at least six. So, if you're looking for some sort of salmonid-oriented multi-species conquest, sounds like you should head to California. If you hit the right drainages, you could also get into steelhead, salmon and presumably some char.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
my best so far in one day was Brown, Cutthroat, Rainbow and Eastern Brook, and Easter Brook/Cutthroat cross all in on day. I really was not trying it just happened. This was all done in just two lakes located just a few miles from one another here on the west side of the state. The suprise was the Rainbow since its a lake I have fished many times and only caught Brown and cutthroat there before. The rest were not a suprise I go there just for the brown trout and small brook trout on the smaller lake with a few small cutthroat thrown in for fun. I am sure many out there have beat this but so far this is the most in one day I have done myself if we are talking trout and char only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.