Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· newt
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a posting here a long time ago with a GREAT site with GREAT prices...... i have searched and searched, but alas...... can't find it.

what are some good recommendations?

i was looking into getting a new rod! ~100% 4 # maybe?

· Still truckless now farther away
1,735 Posts
I am very pleased with Sierra Trading. Good stuff at great prices. Once you are active they will send you special offers which will lower your prices further.
I agree on Sierra Outdoors, they will send a ton of monthly or weekly catalogs and E-mail sales but I've gotten some really good stuff for not much money. They also have some very expensive stuff at great prices but still expensive. You can search but may not find what you're after but try anyway. I've bought more clothes than gear but thats what I was drawn to when I was looking. It's worth the look any way. Bob

· Just an Old Man
35,204 Posts
They call it "Your Local Fly Shop"

If you have one in your area
iagree

By the time you add shipping and out of state taxes, the stuff you buy on line will cost you the same if you bought it from a local fly shop. Besides, if you buy local it helps them stay in business longer.

I have never bought anything on line. If I can't see what I'm buying and in my hot little hands. I don't buy it.

Jim

· Registered
1,267 Posts
By the time you add shipping and out of state taxes, the stuff you buy on line will cost you the same if you bought it from a local fly shop. Besides, if you buy local it helps them stay in business longer.

I have never bought anything on line. If I can't see what I'm buying and in my hot little hands. I don't buy it.

Jim
I call BS, Jim. If you've never bought anything online, how do you know that it costs the same as if you bought it locally? Truth is, buying stuff online is almost always cheaper. Not always, but almost always.

There are a ton of reasons to shop locally.

• The people who run local business are often your friends and neighbors. It's best to do business with them.
  • A healthy store has better inventory. The more you shop locally, the more likely your store will have what you need in stock.
  • It's better dealing with a human being than with a web page. You can ask questions. You can get answers that address you particular circumstances.
  • If you have a problem, you have someone who'll give a shit about it on a personal level. Your local shopkeeper should be your liason to a faceless manufacturer.
  • Your taxes stay in town. Your sales taxes and the shop's business taxes help pay for roads and schools and clean water in your community. Better to pay the taxes than to pay FedEx to deliver stuff.
  • etc., etc., etc.
There are enough good reasons to shop locally that you don't have to make up lies about shopping on the internet.

· Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Since I am in such a remote location I buy almost everything on line. A trip to the city in my truck takes a day of my life and over $40 worth of gas. It only makes sense when I go in for several hundred dollars worth of building materials or some major item. I have only had a couple of bad experiences with online shopping and they were of a minor nature and refunded my money.

It pays to shop though and really do your homework before ordering. We recently wanted to replace our old bottom freezer refrigerator with a more modern version of the same thing. The closest appliance store was 40 miles away. The price of the new unit was $1360 and they had it on sale for $1180. That didn't sound too bad at first but by the time they added tax, delivery and a charge for taking the old one away it was back over $1300 again. I found the exact same LG model on the Internet with no tax and free shipping! Imagine-free shipping on a refrigerator. The price delivered to my door and wheeled up on my deck was $967. That was like getting an extra $400 in our Social Security check.

So getting back to your original question, you might take a look at Hook & Hackle's online catalog. Although they don't offer deep discounts like some places I believe you still get a 10% discount on your online orders. I have used them for over 20 years and they seem better than ever right now.

Ive

· Gone south
1,109 Posts
Although I absolutely agree (in practice as well as in theory) that if you can afford largesse you should make your major purchases from the local fly shop, the question of this thread was from someone looking for deep discounts on a decent rod. If his reason is that he can only afford to spend $100 on a rod - and I assure you that in the vast majority of families a hundred bucks spent on a fishing pole would be considered NUTS - and would like a really good rod, then it makes all the sense in the world for him to look for an online discounter. I'm not sure how thrilled fly shop owners would be to get phone calls asking them to please describe any rods they have on clearance sale ( I could be wrong) and driving around to far-flung shops defeats the purpose of saving time/ money.
I have to think that the knee jerk "buy from your local fly shop" response that always follows this kind of inquiry can only be coming from people with plenty of cash to share. For most people, time is money. They can work twice as many hours to pay $XXX for a full-price rod from the fly shop (and no longer have time to fish) so that the fly shop owner can have more time/money to go fishing, or they can look for a discounted rod so they can get decent equipment and still have time themselves to use it. When they can actually fish and are happy with having a great setup, they will need all the little stuff - flies, leaders, tippet, lines, cleaner, tools, etc, that will keep them returning to their local fly shop. Really, it works either way - so it would behoove everyone to not assume that discount-seekers are all selfishly depriving honest fly shops of support just for the greedy joy of a good deal. The implication that you don't deserve a good rod if you can't pay through the nose for it is unkind, to say the least.

That said, Sierra does have deeply discounted, good rods, and as others have said- get on their list and you get even better deals (of the take an extra 30% off one item variety.) Be aware that some manufacturers won't honor warrantees from discount shop purchases, but the Targus Borger rods, for instance, come with two tips - so that's pretty much like saying let's skip the $50 return fee thing and just assume that you'll snap a tip by accident at some point - not a bad option.

Keep in mind that there can be many trails to the same fishing hole :)

· Registered
2,375 Posts
While I agree that shopping local is best I do confess to occasionally buying online - my local shop doesn't carry everything. In addition to www.sierratradingpost.com try www.mrfc.com (look under the clearance items) or www.flyshopcloseouts.com (usually some killer package deals). I also agree that Hook and Hackle (www.hookhack.com) has a great site with great service and they offer 10% off online orders.

Rob

· Just an Old Man
35,204 Posts
I guess that it all boils down to that you that can, do and us that don't, don't.

My granddaughter has had several bad experiences buying online. A cell phone that didn't work and she still can't get her money back and she also bought a Wii on line and it also didn't work because they didn't send the right soft ware with it. Same problem, can't get her money back. All this after many emails and phone calls. Even threatening them with a lawyer.

I just don't do it.

Jim

G

·

If you have one in your area
Silver Bow in Spokane is having a 30% off everything in the store today until 4pm.
I'd pay full price anyway, just to keep Sean going.

Ya, if he doesn't carry something - online might be the way to go....however, let's all do our part to keep these local shops alive.

· newt
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well spending 100- 50 $/ month covers my local shopping... i have been spending a hell of a lot more of that lately.

i think the one i was looking for was the www.mrfc.com thanks all for that and your opinions.

I agree to shop locally, but not all the time. I have never purchased anything big that doesn't have warranty, good reviews for shipping and returns!

only burn has been e-bay. and even if i don't spend 200 bucks locally i spend enough / year to justify spending out of town! most local business people that do not have many employees burn the money you spend locally off shore vacations or other ways! at least the econmoics here locally in Yakima fly out of town/state/country!

as for fly rods not much there! at www.sierratradingpost.com

lol as far as local i am more a Montanan than a Washingtonian!!!!

also.....It's better dealing with a human being than with a web page.????? if you can contact someone at the bussiness....don't buy from them!

also this was kinda shitty,

If you have one in your area .... if you learn to read that was not my question. Thank you for staying on topic!

i love that .... people think they are so witty on the internet .

i already knew this would happen with this post so thank you for not letting me down... all the rest thank you very much!

· Still truckless now farther away
1,735 Posts
Nobody has mentioned that there are I'm sure 'local fly shops' that could do a better job and be more upfront with the customer. I know that I've been sold things that weren't fully explained, or paid for instruction that never gave me the full amount of info that I was after.I use the shops the only way I can, I buy what I can afford, I always buy from the shops that I get info from, even if it's only a few flies, or tippet and leaders. Of course if you've bought a new line say and tried it on your outfit even if the shop recommended it, if it didn't work it's still yours. Then you can't afford to buy a correct replacement. Most shops don't carry anything in rods or reels that I can afford and the same in clothes and waders. The rest of the stuff is not that much different from a few cents to a few dollars so that's what I can do. If I pay $75 to $150 for a class and don't get much help that really hurts. That money could have made a big difference in what I could buy. I do have to say that most seem to be good and honest but not always. Bob
s

· Registered
418 Posts
There was a posting here a long time ago with a GREAT site with GREAT prices...... i have searched and searched, but alas...... can't find it.

what are some good recommendations?

i was looking into getting a new rod! ~100% 4 # maybe?
Methinks you are mistaken about some magic website with premium fly rods for cheap. I don't remember any such thing ever in the history of man. So quit drooling over a Sage, Scott, or Winston....they never are "on sale"; you can pick one up on flea-bay for ~25-30% off retail which more often than not will have some nick and/or minor flaw that isn't disclosed (the word "new" is used very liberally). Otherwise, the retail price on TFO's are not bad; they don't go on sale either. Does anyone know what the last sentence of the OP means? (i.e., "~100% 4 # maybe") ?????

329 Posts
well spending 100- 50 $/ month covers my local shopping... i have been spending a hell of a lot more of that lately.

i think the one i was looking for was the www.mrfc.com thanks all for that and your opinions.

I agree to shop locally, but not all the time. I have never purchased anything big that doesn't have warranty, good reviews for shipping and returns!

only burn has been e-bay. and even if i don't spend 200 bucks locally i spend enough / year to justify spending out of town! most local business people that do not have many employees burn the money you spend locally off shore vacations or other ways! at least the econmoics here locally in Yakima fly out of town/state/country!

as for fly rods not much there! at www.sierratradingpost.com

lol as far as local i am more a Montanan than a Washingtonian!!!!

also.....It's better dealing with a human being than with a web page.????? if you can contact someone at the bussiness....don't buy from them!

also this was kinda shitty,

If you have one in your area .... if you learn to read that was not my question. Thank you for staying on topic!

i love that .... people think they are so witty on the internet .

i already knew this would happen with this post so thank you for not letting me down... all the rest thank you very much!
This from someone who obviously slept through English class. Maybe you should try PROOF READING.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.