Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
AKA Scott Jones
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are planning to spend a long weekend on and around Cedar Lake off the upper Graywolf. I've done a bit of reading and am looking forward to fishing. I just wondered if anyone had any first hand accounts they wanted to tell of. It sounds like a nice hike we are really looking forward to it. I may toss a fly into the upper Graywolf as well since we are planning a bit of a mid-day break before we break off the upper Graywolf trail.

Thanks

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Before kids and shortly after teaching myself to cast I hiked with the misses up the Graywolf. I caught my first moving water trout there, a cutt if my ID was correct and a little while later a small bull trout. I was in hog heaven. I can't really recall all that well, but I belive that we camped the first night at Gray Wolf camp and it was in the river near here that I fished. We were pretty fit then and I seemed to have a lot of energy. The next day was not the same story, we went over the Gray Wolf Pass and down to the Dosewallips, going up was tough. Coming down the sun baked and exposed side to the Dosewallips was not the highlight of the trip. We headed out to Dose Meadows and stayed night two and three day hiking up to Lost Pass for a light day three. We hiked all the way out to the Dosewallips Ranger Station to get our exit vehicle. This was three or four years before the road washed out and we had put my car there and then drove over to the Gray Wolf trailhead. Sorry it is not more fishing intensive. I barely knew a thing about fly fishing then and it was not the priority of the trip. I don't know much more about fly fishing now but know that if I tried to do that trip right now I'd be toast. I hope you to have a great time. On our trip we saw one solo hiker who passed us on day two around Bear Camp. He came over Hayden Pass and was hiking super light and fast.

·
Language, its a virus
1,602 Posts
Haven't done that hike since Boy Scouts 1966. But Mr.
Bad Example is right about small stupid trout. Beautiful
country but isn't that fire in that area?

Dave

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Small stupid trout, thanks Mr. Bad Example and Go Fish. Way to crush my memories. I thought I was onto something. I guess if I can catch them they have to be small and stupid.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
you'll have to visualize it.........next time your at a high mountain lake (that has cuthroat) toss a bit of your cheese sandwich into a passing group o trout and watch em go all carpy on you.
Just as I imagined. Dirty bait fisherman. What a bad example.

·
34 Posts
I've hiked the upper Graywolf, and upper Cameron creek, fishing along the way. The fishing is fun, lots of small but very eager fish. Same goes for Ceder Lake, but you may want to bring your favorite bug repellent for your stay at Ceder Lake. It's a great hike hike. You'll have a good time.

·
AKA Scott Jones
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for chiming in, I'll have to stop at the flyshop for some cheese sandwich flies. Are they best grilled and in what size? I'm not looking forward to the bugs, but you take the good with the bad.

Mumbles your report was perfect, I'll be fishing, but that isn't what the hike is all about. You painted a nice picture, thanks.

Scott

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Scott, fun as it was that descent from Gray Wolf Pass down to the Dosewallips Trail still lingers as one of the toughest days. I don't know why but it was just all scree, sun exposed and maybe the 5 liter wine bladder that we hit pretty hard the night before in camp was paying me back. Best for a great trip. Ed

·
AKA Scott Jones
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The hike was great a nice mix of lowland forest, river and high lake scenery. I did manage to get some fishing in. Sorry no fish pics. Cedar lake does have fish in it and so do the Graywolf and other creeks. I think I enjoyed fishing the creeks the most. I tried my hand at swinging big ugly flies thru the deeper pools and managed a hook up or two, but nothing to write home about. Maybe if I had tied on that cheeseburger fly I'd be writing home about some really big fish.

The highlight of the trip was the lack of people. The mosquitos might have had something to do with that, the bloodsuckers were everywhere at the lake, but you've got to take the good with the bad. All in all a great trip thanks for all the input.

Scott

P.S. if I knew how I would upload a couple of pics, maybe I'll read up on that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.