Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Feeling like I should give something back and wondering if anyone knows what organisations are doing good work for salmon and steelhead conservation on the Olympic Peninsula?
Thanks for the nod. FYI, I am not sitting on any boards right now.
My vote is for our Regional Fisheries Enhancement Group, the North Olympic Salmon Coalition. They have been working on restoration of numerous watersheds, along the north coast, from the Hood Canal Bridge area all of the way out to the west-end of the Peninsula. They have had great success in restoring some estuarine habitat as well. There are very few restoration programs anywhere that are able to do restoration work from headwaters to estuary. Some of our small streams were nearly devoid of fish. Some no longer had any salmon returning. Now we have small farm streams out here that host thousands of wild salmon every year. And those streams are putting out hundreds of thousands to over a million smolt every spring. Many of the projects focused on summer chum salmon restoration. And then the coho and steelhead and cutthroat and lamprey, and stickleback and sculpin, etc., etc., all came back too. It's an extraordinary story. Volunteers are always welcome. And you can help as much or as little as you like. The need for financial contributions is continuous, as these programs have to fund themselves. For more information:
www.nosc.org

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
Thanks for the nod. FYI, I am not sitting on any boards right now.
My vote is for our Regional Fisheries Enhancement Group, the North Olympic Salmon Coalition. They have been working on restoration of numerous watersheds, along the north coast, from the Hood Canal Bridge area all of the way out to the west-end of the Peninsula. They have had great success in restoring some estuarine habitat as well. There are very few restoration programs anywhere that are able to do restoration work from headwaters to estuary. Some of our small streams were nearly devoid of fish. Some no longer had any salmon returning. Now we have small farm streams out here that host thousands of wild salmon every year. And those streams are putting out hundreds of thousands to over a million smolt every spring. Many of the projects focused on summer chum salmon restoration. And then the coho and steelhead and cutthroat and lamprey, and stickleback and sculpin, etc., etc., all came back too. It's an extraordinary story. Volunteers are always welcome. And you can help as much or as little as you like. The need for financial contributions is continuous, as these programs have to fund themselves. For more information:
www.nosc.org
Thanks Bob - joined and donated. An impressive grassroots org. that prioritizes well and is getting results.

·
bushwhacker
426 Posts
View attachment 128768
Maybe you are the one that should research. I've done my research and my time and money goes to actually helping, not movies and lawyers.
If you'd done your research, you'd recognize that the National Marine Fisheries Service going a decade without completing and implementing its legally-required Puget Sound wild steelhead recovery plan was lawsuit-worthy.

And what's more, the suit was successful, reaching a settlement in August 2016 forcing NMFS to complete and implement its Puget Sound wild steelhead recovery plans. And that success came without the collateral damage seen in recent suits from that other much more litigious wild fish conservation outfit...

Back to the topic of the OP, remember those monumental regulation changes on the coast rivers last year? The ones ending the recreational harvest of wild steelhead statewide, curtailing the use of bait and barbs during the wild season, and designating a ten mile stretch of the upper Hoh, a key staging and spawning reach, as boats for transportation only?

The Wild Steelhead Coalition wrote and submitted those draft proposals, and then championed them to passage through the WDFW committee, rule-making and commission processes. Those changes might not be a silver bullet for recovery, but they were much needed and represent huge progress for the conservation of wild silver bullets on the OP.

http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/2015/12/huge-victory-for-wild-steelhead/
http://www.drakemag.com/featured-co...ll-victory-for-wild-washington-steelhead.html
For those who'd like to support these efforts and similar work: http://wildsteelheadcoalition.org/donate/

·
The Dude Abides
2,467 Posts
View attachment 128768
Maybe you are the one that should research. I've done my research and my time and money goes to actually helping, not movies and lawyers.
Never said that we weren't part of a wide based coalition of groups that moved some much needed action.

Dude, you're crazy if you think we're making anyone rich, let alone a lawyer. All volunteer based, we get shit done on a shoestring.

And Kerry, dont be an ass.

·
The Dude Abides
2,467 Posts
Never said that we weren't part of a wide based coalition of groups that moved some much needed action.

Dude, you're crazy if you think we're making anyone rich, let alone a lawyer. All volunteer based, we get shit done on a shoestring.

You're upset about a movie. hahaha. So education makes no sense right? You're so removed from it you dont know what we do. Maybe that's our fault

And Kerry, dont be an ass :p

·
Inactive
1,974 Posts
Sorry mate for derailing your thread, one last off topic and I'm out.

http://www.tristatesteelheaders.com/

Another great group, but obviously east side and not OP.

To others,

I've donated money to wsc before and I've done my research. My money and time now goes to ones I believe more local to myself and the fish I chase

·
bushwhacker
426 Posts
I had my septic system pumped and inspected. Good enough for you?

Passive aggressive crap.
Depends how far you live from a steelhead river...

I believe the state of the resource that sustains our sport is dire enough to make participation in conservation efforts mandatory for steelhead fishermen.

Props to the original poster, and to Jake, for doing their part in their own way.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.