Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend got me an belated birthday trip with him on Sunday; look like the river might be high; so I call the guide up to inquire what our options were; was told we are going rain or shine, high water have nothing to do with his decision; I told him we wanted to swing only on our trip; he just say he had place for that.. so what am I expecting??????

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm doing a day trip over there tomorrow(Friday). First time fishing over there. Hoping for the best knowing ahead of time that the rivers are running high and I will likely get drenched in the afternoon.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just got back. Hard fishing I would call B.S on guide with swing only ! also the solduc is fishable but you need to single cast because of high water. I ran into a lot of guys from out of states waiting for the water to go down because there guide canceled on them because he didn't want to take their money. Monday looks good maybe Saturday or Sunday

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back. Hard fishing I would call B.S on guide with swing only ! also the solduc is fishable but you need to single cast because of high water. I ran into a lot of guys from out of states waiting for the water to go down because there guide canceled on them because he didn't want to take their money. Monday looks good maybe Saturday or Sunday
This particular guide sound totally opposite on taking our money; he said rain or shine and he makes the call; he keep stating it's been fanatics fishing high water; but he didn't listen what we wanted.. I left him couple messages aready; I guess he out guiding; hope to hear back; I don't want fish high water; so are we justified to ask for our deposit back if we choose not to fish high water??

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
This particular guide sound totally opposite on taking our money; he said rain or shine and he makes the call; he keep stating it's been fanatics fishing high water; but he didn't listen what we wanted.. I left him couple messages aready; I guess he out guiding; hope to hear back; I don't want fish high water; so are we justified to ask for our deposit back if we choose not to fish high water??
With the right guide who knows what he is doing. He can slay when it is high water in "some" cases.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
one of the mos productive steelhead days I ever had, on a coastal stream at max high water and flows, was made so by leaving the DH rods in the truck and drifting egg patterns under indicators in the slower waters literally just a couple of feet off the bank. Swinging would have been pointless in those conditions.

To make the best of the trip, suggest you go with whatever technique the guide thinks most productive for the encountered conditions.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My friend got me an belated birthday trip with him on Sunday; look like the river might be high; so I call the guide up to inquire what our options were; was told we are going rain or shine, high water have nothing to do with his decision; I told him we wanted to swing only on our trip; he just say he had place for that.. so what am I expecting??????
Listen to your guide, you're paying him for his knowledge and arguing with him over whether the water is "too high" or not is going to set things on a negative path from the start. The levels look great for your weekend trip and as long as the slow drop continues it looks like Sunday will be great conditions and everything will be in play. Even if you get a little bump of water you'll be in fine shape.

Swinging in high water can produce great days with people who know what they're doing. The guides that have been working in Forks for more than a few years love high water as long as the clarity is holding or improving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got back. Was just overcast skies until about 1pm and then it started raining. All the rivers visible from the highway looked to be in great fishable condition in my opinion. Bogie was pretty gray colored below the undie Rd washout. We hiked upstream into the national park. Water had about 2 ft. Visibility with a green hue. Seemed perfect to me. With 3 of us fishing angling rods for about 6 hours over a spread of about 2 miles of river we had no bites and no fish landed. Fished some great looking water and had a great time enjoying the rain forest. Just no fish to be found. It started raining pretty good in the evening. I imagine conditions will be changing a lot soon. Hope this helps to those making plans

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I fished today but not with my spey rods. Not the easiest or most comfortable conditions but we managed to find some nice water. As noted above, it started raining again about midday and was pouring on the way home. Probably a good bit worse tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.