Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
steelhead chaser
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, everyone. I am a Portland-er that will be in Bellevue for work for the next two weeks and have the weekends free to go out and explore. I have always wanted to fish the Olympic Peninsula rivers and this will be my best opportunity. Can anyone help steer me to a place that has some decent access for someone that is bank bound and wants to swing a fly for some winters? I had been looking at the Sol Duc, Hoh, and Queets, but I am not terribly familiar with the access and river levels and such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't wait to get out and explore. Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hi Mike,

Both the Hoh and Queets have roads that run right along the river for long sections. There is ample good water accessible from each. On the Hoh, mouth of Willoughby creek where the upper Hoh road comes back down to the river is an easy one, as is Morgan's crossing which is a boat launch upstream a few miles. Ditto on the area at the mouth where the oil city road hits the national park. For the Queets, if you follow the road upstream from 101, you will see the river starting at Hartzel boat lauch and it parallels the river for a ways upstream. The Sol Duc is much harder for access. Each of the bridges over the river are good starting points...just look at a map...there are at least 7 or 8 crossings on 101 and other roads. Best of luck.
-Thomas

168 Posts
The Hoh and Bogi have been swinging well with the above average Feb. water temps. Upper Hoh road and Oil City road provide a lot of access to the Hoh. Undie Road has quite a bit of access to the upper Bogi.

Well, for levels usually the Hoh under 3000 cfs and dropping is good and the Bogi under 28' and dropping is good.

·
steelhead chaser
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help and suggestions so far. Now I just have to pick form all the great rivers out that way. I only have a day and a half to explore so I guess i'll have to choose wisely.

I also saw that the Skykomish and Snohomish are relatively close to where I will be staying, so I might have to check that out as well one morning.

·
steelhead chaser
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a choice, go west and fish the OP instead of the Skykomish, if you want a chance to catch a steelhead in this state.
I am definitely hitting a coastal river on Saturday and maybe something closer Sunday morning, just for fun.

If anyone is out on the Hoh, Bogi, or Queets on Saturday and wants a fishing partner, let me know. It's always fun fishing with new people and sharing experiences.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.