Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to offer my head for you to view its workings. You may agree with my thought process, or you may find it lacking. Regardless, the front door is open. The subject of this "out-loud" thought is "what to do this weekend." Here we go...

Grapevine rumor has it that a flyfishing club added suppliment plants of trout to Nunnally Lake. Recent reports have it that my bloodworm fishing buddy James did well on opening weekend. "Well" if you consider that he took something like 8 fish 40 degree water. I consider that doing well. But those "bobber" chronomid pupae/larva guys always do good when they dial in.. Does this mean that Nunnally is the best option? Not necessarily. The temperatures are getting warmer in central Washington and we have "budbreak" on many of the trees as of last weekend indicating that spring has just begun. In addition I am starting to hear songbirds in the desert, another indicator.

Lets get back to the lake discussion before we start to sound like Emerson's metaphysical "Glass Eyeball.." Anyway, lakes are slow to warm, and slow to cool as a great amount of solar energy is needed to raise their water temperature. Fish are cold blooded creatures, and for the most part, move slowly in colder water. Similar, the insects don't really like moving around much in cold water. Our first major lake hatch will be chronomids, and more specifically, midges. The first place to warm up is always the shallowest portion of the lake. Thus, it will be the first to be productive. Could we also conclude that it would be the first area to get the first midge hatch? Then, when the rest of the lake warms up, and it gets midges (size 18-22), would that mean that we would have larger midges ("chronomids" size 8-16) in the shallows? It makes logical sense.

Considering this, the Bobby Arm of Nunnaly in particular will be a better choice for this weekend. As well, Beda's boat launch arm as well as the southeast bay and southeast bay western drop-off off of the SE bay island will all be likely producers. Will Quail lake be productive? Historical reports of the last 5 years says that Quail doesn't fish for s*it. However, grapevine info given to me tells me that quail was rotenoned 3 years ago. The lakes are usually planted 6 months later and thus these fish would would now be 2 years old. Personal experience of growth rate in the seeps tells me that the fish should be about 16" and maybe a pound or more, depending how much a fish individually likes to eat.. Am I not hearing anything about Quail because some guy who fishes it, doesn't tell people that he's getting into fish? Maybe. I'll have to check it out for myself and get the answer. I recall that Quail, like Merry, doesn't have much structure, but has the same function and shape as a "salad bowl." It may also have some shoal areas that warm quickly. Interesting possibilities.

Come to think of it, there is some stream options right now.. Woudn't this be the time when all the rainbows in whatever body of water and looking to stage for a spring spawn? That would mean than any funky little tributary inlet or outlet would possibly...

"Hey you! Your making a mess in my head and tracking dirt all over the place. Get the hell out of here!" Open house is now closed. I was just about to get to the good part. You had to go make a mess and blow it...

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wellllllllll since I've recieved two emails on this topic today, I thought I'd post what I know.

Kaufmann's and donations from Kaufmann's customers were responsible for planting 14-16" triploids in Nunnally/Bobby three years ago and are doing so again this year.:)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Big props the the kman guys, especially D. Worley and the world renound fly fishing guru, Sparky! (Hi sparky, stop being a lurker and post something) I donated to the fund, even though I don't fish these lakes often. I plan on fishing these lakes soon, but on a weekday. So sparse, to answer your question, ya, I know all about it. YT:smokin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.