Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I never go fishing on opening day, for the past few years I have been going out on the opener to just look around and talk to people that were fishing. Yesterday I visited 5 local lakes and to my surprise only saw 2 people fishing. They were in a boat and looked like they were dressed for a Bears-Packers game in December.

At another lake I met a friend that was getting ready to take his grandkids out in a boat mostly to just humor them. He had started a fire in a fire pit and expected the kids to freeze out after about 15 minutes. I think the plan was to troll around until the kids begged for mercy, take them back to the fire and roast some marshmallows then go home for some hot chocolate. So much for opening day.

When I got home the sky opened up and it hailed enough to turn the ground white. And the wind blew like stink all day long. I would guess the trout population remained relatively intact on opening day. Today should be a dandy though, the winds have died and the skies cleared. I'll head out tomorrow and get started.

I hope it was better where you were.

Ive

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
i avoided the local lakes on the kp yesterday and hiked down to a not so secret beach
found a garbage strewn homeless camp there that was nasty

wind was blowing 20 onshore

drank a beer and came home with clams and nettles

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Rotato, mind sharing your safe handling and recipie for that nettle soup? My wife is strangely intrigued, but terrified of the burning sensation of nettles in her hands. (She probably thinks the concoction cold be harmful to my health and wants to make sure I get a heaping helping)

·
Registered
899 Posts
It was decent in Carnation, light wind and scattered showers and breaks of sunshine. Great opening day for me!

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
I grew up on nettles. We would blanch them and then do a marinade in a soy,garlic,vinegar,sesame blend. Then you eat it with rice. From what I've been told it's very high in nutrients like seratonin. The soups are great! Haven't made it myself but a good friend makes it everytime we go camping.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
When handling nettles just be careful that you don't touch the back side of the leaves. That's where you get the sting from.

I haven't been crawling around in the back woods of Washington for over 60 years and not learned anything from them.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Haven't tried them in a soup yet but do know they make an excellent tea....very relaxing (serotonin) and quite tasty.

Don't know others recipe for soup but would guess you could steam the leaves like Spinach or sautee' with garlic, oniions etc. to make a really swell soup - gonna' hafta' try that next time I remember to bring my leather gloves with me when fishing mountain streams!!

Jc

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can make a great, simple soup using the nettles, some garlic, and bacon. Play with the ingredients to suite taste. I had a vegetarian girlfriend make it using butter instead of bacon, it was still good, but everything tastes better with bacon...funny how that is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can make a great, simple soup using the nettles, some garlic, and bacon. Play with the ingredients to suit taste, just don't forget the salt and pepper. I had a vegetarian girlfriend make it using butter instead of bacon, it was still good, but everything tastes better with bacon...funny how that is.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
What do you want the nettles for.
You asked and some answers were sumbitted that several of us were intrigued by...

When handling nettles just be careful that you don't touch the back side of the leaves. That's where you get the sting from.

I haven't been crawling around in the back woods of Washington for over 60 years and not learned anything from them.
You further added to the collection process with some "safe handling tips"...

Sure is funny that this started about about fishing and now it's all about eating Nettles.

Way to go everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And now you are fussing...you are a part of EVERYBODY Jim. What is up, no good fishing over the weekend in Montana?

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
If you are getting some nettles and get stung by them simple cure is to rub some ferns on the area effected.
Not sure why it works but learned the trick long ago and have used it many times on my self and others. We used to get into the nettles all the time playing disk golf.

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Oh yea to get things back to fishing. Fished two diffrent lakes on Sunday since I spent Saturday working on the boat.
Fish seemed smaller at lake W then they have been in years past but the crowds for the weather being so good and being only one day after the opening where also smaller. It was nice to see lake posted with sign showing its was not open till opening day.
Fish at lake F where much more spunky and a little bigger maybe around 10-11" range and I even had 1/2 of the lake to myself for 30 minutes or so and only one other water craft even on the lake for that 30 minutes. Granted this lake is open year round. Had only 4-5 boats on lake the rest of the time.
Weather was great and t felt good to just be fishing. Saw female game warden checking up on things at first lake but every one seemed to be keeping things legal.

·
Stickin' pigs.
126 Posts
Tried the recipe posted above last night since I have a patch right in front of my house. It was DELICIOUS. I bought a book of 101 uses for nettles online and will start experimenting more with them. What an amazing weed!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.