Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to start an opening day reports thread. You don't need to name where you went. Today, I left with my dad around 1 to my favorite little creek over here on the westside. Saw a large fish for the creek thrashing at bugs when i got there. Caught about 7 fish from 5" to about 8" most of them were about 8". Well, was drifting my parachute olive mayfly over submerged logs and saw that sucker rise, so I was going to pick up and cast to that spot, but, ididn't have the chance, seems that as soon as he took that one bug he turned around and exploded on my helpless little mayfly. Hooked him and had him almost to hand when he flopped off after several arobatic maneuvers. He was really big for the creek, 11" at least, maybe pushing 12". Argh, if i would have had my net I probably would have had a chance to get him. All fish were wild cutthroat.

· Registered
3,281 Posts
Upper Norht Fork Snoqualmie
Fished up in the flats above the county road bridge that crosses the N Fork in the flats. Sunday Creek, closed waters is running with a lot of volume and doubling the volume of water in the N Fork. In general the water above the bridge is quite fishable. Went up to Lennox and the color and flow is good. Actually quite clear. Caught a few but nothing to jump and shout about.
Dropped down below the bridge and walked the east side. The flow is still a little fast but fishable. Not really wadeable because of volume. Picked up a few more in the fast water. Not a lot of slower water.
And for Old Man Jim, I went into where I talked about and missed the spot. Will try again next week or so. Man I thouht what a fool I was a few times but got out in one piece. Got back and looked at the map and I was off by 150 yds.
Rummor. The tree farm is accesible by permit now. I talked very briefly with a dude that was driving inside and he told me he just bought an access permit for $165 to get into the old Weyerhauser North Fork Tree Farm. He didn't feel like giving me details but that is what he told me. The SOB wouldn't give me a ride back to the gate either. I hope I find him somewhere with two flat tires so I can give him the salute and drive on by.
All in all a good day!
Dave

· Registered
144 Posts
There was an article in the Seattle Times yesterday that mentioned that the new owner of the Snoqalmie Tree Farm (Hancock?) is now selling passes for $165 (yikes!). I think they were available out of a hardware store in North Bend.

Dave

· Registered
193 Posts
WEll we got up and went to Lennox creek on the nf snoqualmie. NOt impressed. Tried exploring some other places on the creek, but nothing was good. WE also drowned ourselves wading in superfast water so that was scary. Then my dad fell off a log. All in all i caught 4 fish, which is pretty week. We need to find a new spot because it was way too crowded and didnt fihsh well. Next weekend were going to try a new spot out east.
JOe

· Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,098 Posts
What a bastardo. Dave, that guy is going on the Boblawless/MacRowdy Hitlist. In fact for the time being we'll promote him to the top of the list. You will need to provide a detailed description of the bastardo and his rig.

MAC:reallymad

· Just an Old Man
35,201 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Well if you want an old man to go with you all you have to do is yell. I also went out today. And my luck is taking off from last year. Went to the Stilly N/F and as I seen that nothing was happening I went to a small creek and all I was able to scare up was a small one and it was a LDR. I will hit it in the middle of the week when all of the others are at work. Retirement has it's perks. going out again tuesday and I am sure it will be where ever the water in running down hill

Jim

· Registered
3,281 Posts
Joe,
You actually did pretty well on the Lennox today. the water is up and the fish are really spread out. I fished at the mouth and down river on the North Fork. For June the fishing was OK. Just too much water, the fish are anywhere and everywhere. When the flows drop the fishing will get better. Right now the entire creek can hold fish and they are really spread thin.
Dave

· Registered
3,281 Posts
Mac,
I have seen him and his rig in there before. I cover a lot of ground in there on foot and it is only a matter of time until I run across him. Believe me, I don't get mad I get even!
And just in case he happens to read this site; some day when you come crawling out of that spot you poach fish in and you find your tires are flat and there are no valve stems you KNOW who to thank!
Dave

· Just an Old Man
35,201 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

Did you try down stream from the park. It used to be good area below there. But since they put in that gate at the hiway I haven't been back in there.

Jim

· Registered
48 Posts
Hello to all! I left for cooper river sat night! actually camped on the cle-elum river got up at the crack of dawn,river was running fast and high.I spent a couple hours on that one! no luck!so I went to salmon la sac and hiked the cooper river trail,that one is runnin fast to! ran into a lot of flyfisherman! no one was catching anything! but that is fine with me! my worst day of fishing is better than my best day at work!! but a very enjoyable time!! will go back when the flows are lower! take care! johnny!:thumb

· Registered
6 Posts
yikes is right........the permits are $165 (and we used to think weyco was nailing us at $70)....available at the ACE in north bend.....spent yesterday in there and found a couple nice beaver ponds.....as the old man will attest, finding and fishin bp without a floating device brings a whole new meaning to the term "mud bogging"..we did get into some decent brook trout though..........

snoq.........

G

·
Geez - $165 for a permit... I can't help but think, though, that $165, while being rather STEEP, could very easily minimize pressure on all those waters up there to the point where it could be verrrrrry good, or get verrrrrrrry good (provided Hancock leaves sufficient buffers - do they HAVE to???). If it works out righteously, that land becomes a relatively underfished, comparatively light-pressured, quality resource and whoever values that enough to spring for the "hot ticket" is laughin'... It will be interesting to see what Hancock (?) does out there, though...

:smokin

· Registered
3,281 Posts
Buffer zones

As I recall the buffer zones apply nearly to all timber management and harvesting. The exception is for very small landholdings. The buffer zones and the leaving of patches of trees and snags was also a part of the rules adopted maybe two or three years ago.
I aree with your optimism about the potentials. It's just the $165 that hits the nerves. Though it may sound better after it sinks in.
What does bother me also is what is going to happen to the perch populations in some of those lakes. Big perch populations don't bode well for good trout populations in small lakes.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.