Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a 4wt rod for small streams and the current clearance prices for the sage circa makes it an attractive choice.

I'm looking at the Orvis 8' or the sage 7'9".

I have cast both lines and they both seem sweet, but what I want is opinions from people that have actually fished them, let me know what you know...

Thanks,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I've only used my Circa 589. I like that it feels like a medium action rod until you need to force a cast in the wind. Then it takes on the character of a medium fast rod. It also subdues bigger fish in ways that do not translate to the casting feel. Hell of a fishing rod.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've only used my Circa 589. I like that it feels like a medium action rod until you need to force a cast in the wind. Then it takes on the character of a medium fast rod. It also subdues bigger fish in ways that do not translate to the casting feel. Hell of a fishing rod.
Thanks Kyle.

Anyone else has tried both of these rods?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Kyle.

Anyone else has tried both of these rods?

I had and sold the superfine touch in 8'4wt and have the circa in 7'9"4wt. The superfine touch was too soft for my preferences while the Circa was still on the soft side but did not collapse. I have not fished or even cast the Superfine Carbon but I understand it is not as soft tipped as the Touch was.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I had and sold the superfine touch in 8'4wt and have the circa in 7'9"4wt. The superfine touch was too soft for my preferences while the Circa was still on the soft side but did not collapse. I have not fished or even cast the Superfine Carbon but I understand it is not as soft tipped as the Touch was.
I was under the impression that the Carbon had the same blank as its predecessor.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Don't want to muddy the waters too much, but just for giggles if you drop into Orvis to cast a Superfine Carbon, I'd suggest you cast the Superfine Glass as well. The 7'6 4 wt. is a real gem IMO. I cast the 4 wt carbon and the glass, and found the glass just called to me.

I now own the 7'6 4 wt superfine glass and have found that (again IMO) it fishes as beautifully as it casts. Looks cool too. My only regret is the reel I currently have it paired with - blech. At some point I'll address that...

Regardless of your choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Tight lines!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I did the same thing---tried the glass just out of curiosity. I was at the Orvis factory store, and got a private tour of their rod building facility. They were building glass rods that day because demand had far outstripped their projections. I ended up with the 4 wt glass rod, and now have a slew of glass rods. I do have an older Orvis 7'9" 5 wt Superfine graphite rod, which is a nice rod, but I prefer the Superfine glass.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.