Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger and asked Ross, Nomlasder on this forum to build me a pram. Some of you may have seen some of his drift boats, they are truly a thing of beauty!

I stopped by his shop today and the pram is well on its way. The sides, transom, bow and bottom as well as the front deck and seat cradle are in. Nice lines and a nice rocker bottom, about 5 inches lift in the front and about 2 inches lift astern. It has a 22 degree V-bottom which should make it a good rower combined with the V_shaped bottom and keel to be yet installed. Overall it is 7 feet long and 50 inches at the gunnels widest point.

As the boat is made or 1/4 inch marine mahogany it will probably weigh in at around 50 pounds. The outside will be painted with a good enamel and the inside oiled.

Now if only my "retirement" not so part time job co-operates a little maybe I will get to use it a bit this summer and fall. If nothing else I will be ready next spring when I can get into some of my favorite late spring lakes.

When complete I will ask Ross to post some pictures so you can see what he does with wooden boats.

Dave

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve,
I'll get the pram when it is done, and the time line makes little difference as my part time 4 short days a week job has morphed into nearly full time and probably going to 6 days if another person quits, which is highly likely.

I have owned several prams in the past of different configurations and much prefer the v bottom with some rocker as this one has. It should be a nice rower.

The pram is taking the place of my 15 foot canoe which I can no longer load on the top of my truck. After a year and half hiatus from fishing still water I will be back in business! Now if I can get some free time I will be set.

Dave

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Insufficient skill has kept me from attempting that but my brother in law down the road is a highly talented master wood butcher and we are considering the idea of building a fully custom driftboat. The only thing lacking is available time.

I'd love to see pics when done.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tracker,

I will be sure to ask Ross to post some pics and some of his drift boats as well. Besides my pram he has a wood sled layed up in his shop right now as well.
Dave

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the trigger and asked Ross, Nomlasder on this forum to build me a pram. Some of you may have seen some of his drift boats, they are truly a thing of beauty!

I stopped by his shop today and the pram is well on its way. The sides, transom, bow and bottom as well as the front deck and seat cradle are in. Nice lines and a nice rocker bottom, about 5 inches lift in the front and about 2 inches lift astern. It has a 22 degree V-bottom which should make it a good rower combined with the V_shaped bottom and keel to be yet installed. Overall it is 7 feet long and 50 inches at the gunnels widest point.

As the boat is made or 1/4 inch marine mahogany it will probably weigh in at around 50 pounds. The outside will be painted with a good enamel and the inside oiled.

Now if only my "retirement" not so part time job co-operates a little maybe I will get to use it a bit this summer and fall. If nothing else I will be ready next spring when I can get into some of my favorite late spring lakes.

When complete I will ask Ross to post some pictures so you can see what he does with wooden boats.

Dave
Looking forward to some pics

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.