Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Having a drink in The Buff
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a family trip (non-fishing) to Sunriver in early July and I'm looking for a couple of options for me to peel away for a few hours maybe even a half day or morning or eventing to FF nearby. Any suggestions for something that doesn't require a huge time investment or that would be fun for the family to hang out while I FF. I've got my eye on Fall River, Upper Deschutes, and East Lake.

Any suggestions? Is the Upper Deschutes wadeable/fishable without boat? Fishable sections in/near Sunriver? Thanks, FAF

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
The Fall is a classic spring creek. I've never fished it but I know it has some good fish in it, mostly bows but browns in some places. The Upper Deschutes is a river I've fished a few times near the headwaters. Its a small creek up high and can be a lot of fun. There are tons of small fish in it but if you can get a streamer in some of the undercut banks near downed logs - look out! You've gotta be stealthy but there are some serious browns in those hard to reach places. East Lake would be best from a float tube but I've heard of fish caught from the banks. You may be able to rent a small rowboat there and then you could mix family time with pleasure! Check the Westfly Bulletin Board and search for information on these bodies of water because the Oregon board is full of useful info! Good luck.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
do you have something to float in/on? all the high lakes will be open by then and offer up some great possibilities that are close to SR. Hosmer, little lava(the headwaters of the deschutes), little cultus.......all offer up some great fisihng and are nice family outing sorts of places. all will require you to be on the water, however. Fall r. is a very tough show for some average sized trout, worth seeing but i would focus my efforts on the lakes.

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I would see if you could rent some kayaks and have a family float on Hosmer while you focused on the huge brookies and Atlantic salmon. There are several good fly shops in that area which can provide you with up to date information. In addition to the better known rivers, there are some small creeks that flow into the lakes to the north of Mt. Bachelor that have brookies. The family can take the pram up Bachelor while you stalk trout.

Steve

·
Registered
400 Posts
The Deschutes at LaPine state park can fish good. Go to the day use area. From there you can walk the trail up and down the river. Along with the normal bugs, bring a sink tip with streamers and give the browns some havok. there are very big brown trout in the upper D. Bring some crayfish flies too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Fall river has always been best for me at the evening hatch. Small bugs size 20. Size seems to be more important than color. The Deshutes is good just north of bend near the state park and south of bend all the way to the lakes. Lots of areas to access the banks if you do some scouting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sunriver is a great spot and offers a ton of options within a short drive. Some fisheries will require a watercraft of some kind- Hosmer, East, Crane, Lava... while you can easily wade fish the upper Deschutes and Fall River should you want to chase fish in moving water (smaller fish).

If you want to drop $ and go with a pro, find Brett Dennis. Brett Dennis is by far the #1 expert of flyfishing Crane and you can read and check out the pictures at his website (http://www.centraloregonfishing.com/index.php) If that is not an option, still stop at the shop, by a couple flies and talk to the guys in the shop. They are very generous with info in my experience.

Bottom line, you have quite a few good options for trips. Let me know if I can help more.

JD

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Just be sure to stop in the sunriver fly shop. The guys there are straight up and will give you a good idea of what is happening in the region. They're probably the most straightforward flyshop guys i've met - no bullshit ambiguous answers. They have an AMAZING fly selection as well.

·
Having a drink in The Buff
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A big thanks to all of you for such great info -- as always, I'm glad I asked. A couple of follow ups:

I've fished Hosmer once before at the very end of May. The mosquitos were voracious, at times ovewhelming (would not be good for my family). What are the mosquitos like at the very beginning of July?

What about East Lake at that time for mosquitoes? what about for fishing if I only had a large blow up raft (cheesey I know, but leaving the toon at home) What about a cabin at East Lake Resort - recommended/not?

Last one - if we were doing a night or two camping en route on the way (between Portland & SR), any recommendations both with fishing and without? a good campground for w/the family?

Thanks again in advance -- and obviously I'm not looking for anyone's secrets (but feel free to pm if you like ;) , just looking for the tourist fishing story.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love the upper deschutes around there; it's only 25-30 mins or so away and a great stop. Small fish on dries, bigger fish on nymphs if you can find the pockets. Just make sure runoff is over by then or you will be wading in grass and not finding anything. I have never like the Fall river. Too many people, not enough fishing area esp around the hatchery. I have never hit it during a hatch but in general I think it's overrated. Totally agree on visiting one of the flyshops in town; they will know current conditions and they are good people.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
east and paulina can be super windy places, nuff said. if you like to fish for kokanee, great place. there used to be some monster 'bows in there but i really don't know if they still exist. by july on century drive you will have more problems with the canoe crowds than mosquitos. seems as though these clueless folks just love to paddle around, exactly where you want to be fishing. our most productive times for century drive lakes over the course of about 20 years was the 2nd or 3rd week in june. following that, the crowds start arriving and the lake start getting hot and non-productive. but, for a family vacation, i'd still go up there and give'um a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.