Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I will be in Oregon after Christmas and want to do some fishing. I'm after trout or whitefish since i dont have anything stronger than a 5wt. so does anyone know soem places i might try. im going to be in cannon beach. i've never been fishing down there so i dont have any ideas. thanks
joe

·
Registered
837 Posts
You might try posting on the Oregon board at Westfly.com, they are a pretty talkative bunch.

Most of the coastal streams have resident cutthroat but the winter is not that great of time to fish for them. It might just be because the water is colder, but they seem to go into hiding when the big andronamous fish show up. I think the season is closed anyway. For trout and whitefish your best bets would be the central Oregon waters, Deschutes, Metolius, and Crooked rivers would all be good choices, but they are at least three hours from Cannon Beach. Sorry, not much help.

If you can get a Steelhead rig the Necanicum is a good river not far from Cannon Beach with decent access. Also, the North Fork of the Nehalem isn't that far away, and it has great access if you're willing to hike up from the locked gate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.