Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Alberta
have not seen these in our local fly shops yet. They look like a cool concept. Has anybody that has used them give any comments on them. Thinking of ordering some but exchange and shipping make them expensive, so would like to no if they are with it?
thanks for your opinions.

·
Registered
524 Posts
They are very similar to the airlocks but they don't seem to kink my leader as much. One thing I like about the Oros as opposed to airlock, is that there is no little tiny nut to drop in the stream or on the gravel bar. I have not use thingamabobbers in years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here in BC on lakes like Roche you don't even need to buy indicators. They are on the shore around the boat launches or floating around especially during windy days. :rolleyes: 🤪

·
Rock Creek Semi-Guru
41 Posts
I fished one on a 4X yesterday. It slipped a little bit at first, but I was able to tighten it up to the point that it wouldn’t move. They have 3/4” and 1/2” sizes to help with this as well.

I highly recommend them, they are a step up from Airlocks and Thingamabobbers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello from Alberta
have not seen these in our local fly shops yet. They look like a cool concept. Has anybody that has used them give any comments on them. Thinking of ordering some but exchange and shipping make them expensive, so would like to no if they are with it?
thanks for your opinions.
I love these and they are the only ones I use now. I haven’t had any slide and I’ve put them on 4x and 5x leaders, but then I crank them down anyway. I also like that they don’t put a kink in your line and there’s nothing to catch on when casting; they are just great. I use the medium size because the smaller ones are pretty small. The other thing I like is you can have all one color or arrange them so you have a different color on the top than the bottom. I used these last winter and I was worried they may freeze together but I had no issues at all. The pink ones are hard for me to see and I wish they made them in fluorescent colors. 1/2 White and orange is my go to.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It seems that tapered work slightly better going in a straight line in winding conditions. Rounds of the same diameter seem to work like a curve ball in even a very slight cross wind. The taper indicators seem to turn over a long tippet better in light winds. I prefer them to rounds of the same diameter except if casting short leader with a really small indicator in which case the small rounds seem to be the better choice. Any thing over twelve feet of leader past the indicator they seem to work better to roll up the leader before making the cast.
In windy conditions with a long leader I usually switch to a slightly larger taper indicator and have less issues getting the bugs to turn over effectively.

Counter intuitive, but it seems that the larger taper works better than a small round in the wind. The question should be put to some aerodynamic engineer down at Boeing if this reasoning makes sense.

I can't afford to test the theory in a wind tunnel but it would be interesting to see if my experience with larger taper indicators holds water and if a round small indicator is not a good choice for getting distance accurately in the wind.;)

·
Fish Addict
117 Posts
This might be taboo but I think they come out of the water on a spey style cast better than an airlock. I think there is less suction being totally round. They will break if you over tighten them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts