Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get nto the sport of fly fishing. I have fished with gear all my life, but with moving to ellensburg for college I'm looking to a change. anyhow.

I am looking to purchase a fly rod that is better than a walmart special, but will not break the bank. Somewhere in the $150 range. I would like to keep mty total investment under 250. ( rod, reel, line, backing, ect)

I have looked at the Orvis Clearwater II rod. I has the opertunity to feel a few at the local SG and really took a shine to the feel and responsivness of it over similarily priced rods.

The rod I felt was a Orvis Clearwater II 908-2

I will be fishing mainly for steelhead and salmon in the Yakima river / Olpmpic Peneusula Rivers.

Thanks for your input,
John

·
80 Posts
The targeted fish on the Yakima are trout, and an 8 weight is too much rod for the Yakima trout. I would start with a 5 weight since you are going to be so close to the Yak and save up for an 8 weight for the Oly pen later.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Can't go wrong with that rod in a 5 or 6 wt. I have guided with 6 wt's for two years on the Yak, and clients can't break 'em; easy to turn over nymph rigs, punch through the wind, and easy to learn on. Different story with the Helios, but once was my fault! :)

If you'd like to demo one before you buy, just send me a PM and I'll meet up with you the next time you're over there.

Derek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.