Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Orvis wonderline is all over E-bay right now, wasn't there a problem with cracking? I have Silver Label WF5 and it's excellent. Has anyone had trouble with Wonderline? I need a 7wt line for throwing big bugs and sinking streamers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.:dunno

·
Registered
385 Posts
I just picked up a wonderline for my 2wt SPL, and I am pretty impressed with the line. I've only had it for a little more than a month, so I can't give any report on the longivity of the coating. For casting distance/accuracy and suppleness, I give it a solid 9 out of 10, although 10's don't exist.
:smokin

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the coating on the wonderline more than the SA lines. It has a slicker, more supple feel to it, it's actually closer to the feel of the AirFlo line I have.:smokin

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went with Orvis Wonderline something like 1.5 years ago and used it for 8 months. Hell yeah, its got a problem with cracking! Funny thing, the line closest to the backing cracks the most..just from being wound tight. I never left my line in the sun. I first returned it after 4 months when I noticed my yellow floating line taking on water. I got a new line and the same thing happened 4 months later. Orvis has a great warrantly, and I would have returned it twice, but then I saw the vicious cycle of returning my fly line every 4 months and I said to myself: "Aw, _ _ _ _-it ," and I went and got myself a SA Mastery Series line. That's a good line. I've used the same line for 9 months now and its still floating. Let me say that again, I fished 100 days this last year and many with the SA floating line, and its still floating. Capiche?

-Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Do they?? I'm thinking about picking up a 12g Beretta Ultralight De Luxe O/U.. Don't think I could ever get the Orvis version- probably would say "orvis" on it.. which is just wrong. :p

·
Registered
410 Posts
If people are worried about the warranty, go with an airflo, their multi tips are cost less than the rio(which is also a great system) and they come with a five year no-crack warranty, and some of them come with a ten year no-crack warranty. Look at the airflo
-crump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Sparse.

I'm on a college budget so I have to get the most for my money. I get suspicious when $52.00 fly lines are going for $15.00. I've only been flyfishing a few years and I've worn out a Cortland 333. I want to step up but I want something that will hold up too. I fish about 75 days a year, by Mt. St. Helens mostly. I like the SA Ultra 3 floating for drys on the streams.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I have the Cortland 444 5Wt F. And I think that is one of the better lines out there. I've had it for about three years now and when I go to use it. It casts like a new line and floats about the same. It doesn't coil up like the 555. It lays out perfectly..

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.