Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy an Orvis Trident series rod. I am thinking a 5 weight 9'. Using their flex system, what type of flex should I get for rivers/lakes around Washington mostly. I am thinking a mid flex of 6.5 or 7.5. But, what are the advantages of a Tip flex rod for fishing in WA?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I own an Orvis Battenkill bamboo fly rod that I bought in the late fifties. Still fish it today; she's my pride and joy.
But Orvis (they have been around since the Middle Ages, according to them) has always been long on the verbage and voodoo. Bogus mostly. Mine was supposed to have a "dry fly rod quality, special fast tip action." Hey, I said, that's gotta be me. I mean, am I Mr. Dry Flies or what?
So I don't know about them. But I do believe two things. Their stuff is pricey.
Their stuff is always quality.
Oh, I forgot, remember you will live with your rod for a long time. Mine is 52 years old. I was proud of it then and I'm proud of it now. If you think the name on your rod will give you pride then go for it. Most actions are good. Give it a try. I think they will take it back if you ask.
Bob:thumb

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are special circumstances which make an Orvis rod very appealing to me. I understand that they might not be the best rod for your money, but the Trident series are pretty good, no?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Something to keep in mind. There is no one rod that does everything. I have some very nice sticks that are custom made for specific things. I have some fairly inexpensive rods that are very versatile. It is all in your tastes and what you do now. Everyone should own a couple of good rods that are the "best" Because that is what makes us good at line handling. If you can afford it, DO it! It may not be what you fish 10 years from now but you will have it. I was told once and believe it to this day, a good rod can handle 3 differnet weights of line, a fair one 2 and a run of the mill 1.
If you like it do it. No person on this forumn can tell you what you like.
Dave
:beer2

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I guess I posted because I have no way of trying the rod out first and I have only owned one previous rod (no name cheapo rod). I have been fishing a lot the past couple of years and figured it was time to step up. I happen to come across a good deal on Orvis rods and I am just trying to decide which to get as I have no real idea.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good Service!
A few spring run-offs ago my 8' 5wt Orvis Springcreek got stuck in a bunch of sweepers. I was happy to get myself out of there. I could not reach my rod. I could see it continuous flexing, flexing, flexing with the current. When the water went down, I got the rod back. The tip was broken.
With the help of my local Ovis shop, I sent it in for a repair estimate. I included a letter telling them how it got broken. Orvis did not fix it. They replaced it. They replaced the entire rod at no charge to me. That cannot be beaten.
Rollcast

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mul,
I bought the TLS 968 mid 9.0 rig complete with the battenkill LA reel a year ago, as my winter steelie outfit. I hooked about 20 chums this past winter/fall with it.... and what a "schweet" :p rig it is. I see you are in the Seattle area... if you want we could hookup on a piece of water and you could try it out.... if you want.... Heck what are "fly swingers" for.......:beer2 I have the Dickson yancy Fly line system on there too.... I know it is not a 5 wt but you would get the feel of what an orvis feels like. To me it is better balanced with orvis reel on there too. I tried my Ross on there and does not feel the same. Let me know....

Junky

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm no expert on what rod is the best, but I own three Orvis rods.

My first Orvis was a cheap Clearwater series. When my wife slammed the car door on it, they also replaced it FREE.

Since then I've purchased two more (Silver Label) - they all cast flies and catch fish. What's important to me is the rods have served me well, and Orvis has served me even better.

"Let 'em go"

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Mulligan,
Do you only own one pair of shoes? Buy one so what? You don't have to justify. Lots of times I have bought rods or things way beyond my capabilities at the time and I grew into them. buy it and enjoy.
Because a rod is inexpensive doesn't mean it isn't good. If it feels right that is what counts. If you can handle the rod you have with comfort and it performs for you then look for a similar feeling rod when you buy new. If the action feels right in the store compared to what you know and now have that is the thing.
We could get into a long discusion about parabolics and wildram with his good understanding of rod and line dynamics could pbobably make it clearer for you.
Dave

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I have the Trident TL tip flex 9.5 2 piece 5wt with and Orvis Odyssey 1 reel and it is my pride an joy!! This stick cost me almost 500.00 bucks when it first came out but I dont regret it at all. Its all about the rod that fits you and what your gonna use it for. But in my opinion you cant go wrong with the 5 weight, unless your gonna fish for steelies ;-) . I actually saw a nice trident rod on ebay with buy it now price of like 225.00?? Anyways good luck :thumb

Edit: their customer service is excellent also...lost the tension knob on my reel while floating and they sent me a new one at no cost even though I lost it??

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a very nice Orvis Trident TL 8'6" 5 wt for sale. It's brand new with sock and case burled walnut handle. I have two other Sage 5 wts that I fish and don't use the Orvis. Let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll second the comment on excellent customer service.

I've had an Orvis for about 15 years now. Recently snapped the tip off. Sent the whole rod in, and they provided a new front section fully balanced to the back section.

Paid all shipping costs to and from, and it took all of about two weeks.

They are pricey, but I am very glad I have one.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.