Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took off for a few days this past weekend. We had 4 days to run around. There was a lot of high water, stained water, muddy water, and wind. I have to say, it's nice to see a fairly traditional spring for once, none of that dry 80 degree nonsense. There will be plenty of that when summer arrives :). Streamers worked just fine and there was a rather good caddis hatch on Friday despite some wind. I was also able to pick up a few bows and browns on the surface. We did some hiking on Saturday which explains the grayling. Those were caught on Hare's Ear and PT nymphs. My wife caught her first Brown, Brookie, grayling, and whitefish....so the trip was a success. Hope you enjoy the photos!

http://www.riverforged.tumblr.com

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Spectacular!! Gorgeous photos, man. I'm assuming you weren't in wa, unless you took a heck of a hike:)

Reactions: VanAllen

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
How come you had to hike to find Grayling. I can drive to most places they are at.

But you explored new water.

Grayling are really pretty when you can get them in their dark gray color. They have spots that really show off nice. I caught one out of the Ruby that was about 5" long. It was beautiful. They were called Silver Trout by Lewis and Clark.

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! Those Grayling have a beautiful "sail" don't they? Thanks for sharing.
Yeah we caught a couple of darker males that were very colorful. Awesome fish! They are extremely subtle on the take, but actually pretty strong for their size. I was told they don't fight hard, and true, some of them came in fast, but others were just as hard-fighting as most trout I've hooked
Agreed, those are great photos. What kind of camera are you using if you don't mind me asking?
Nothing fancy. Samsung Galaxy S6 (cell phone) and Olympus TG-3. The Olympus is great for close up shots and underwater use. Someday I will get an SLR, but until then, my editing skills make up for lack of camera ;)

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How come you had to hike to find Grayling. I can drive to most places they are at.

But you explored new water.

Grayling are really pretty when you can get them in their dark gray color. They have spots that really show off nice. I caught one out of the Ruby that was about 5" long. It was beautiful. They were called Silver Trout by Lewis and Clark.
We needed to stretch our legs on a trail. I'll be going over that way this summer.

·
not your average member
871 Posts
Awesome VanAllen .... looks like a great couple days. I gotta agree about the mild spring. I've been camping a couple times lately and realized how much I missed chilly, rainy days. Dressing in layers, making leantoos to cook and eat under, and less people make spring time one of my favorite times. Second to Sept, and Oct in montana... still chilly out and no people on the river cause they are all hunting. Great looking fish! Hope you get some more paintings out of them

·
www.riverforged.com
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Awesome VanAllen .... looks like a great couple days. I gotta agree about the mild spring. I've been camping a couple times lately and realized how much I missed chilly, rainy days. Dressing in layers, making leantoos to cook and eat under, and less people make spring time one of my favorite times. Second to Sept, and Oct in montana... still chilly out and no people on the river cause they are all hunting. Great looking fish! Hope you get some more paintings out of them
Thanks! And yeah,I have a couple more paintings in the works :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.