Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Outcast Super Fat Cat--Failed Inflatable Seat and Back

Boats 
2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  LCnSac 
#1 ·
I called Outcast yesterday, and complained about the failed inflatable seat and back which got me a little wet over the weekend. I was fairly pleasant--but he finally asked the question--how old is it? "Only 27 years." Silence--then laughter--he knew he had taken the bait.

So, other than a pinhole in the bladder I had created with a small hook which was easily repaired, 27 years of absolute fault free service. That's pretty damned impressive in my book. Although I do prefer my Scadden Predator and have only used the SFC occasionally over the past 15 years or so, I have no expectations of any other inflatable giving me that long a service period.

Cost me just under $100 to order a new set of cushions. I do take good care of it, and use 303--looks like new--and I expect this one to last longer than I do.

#3 ·
The fact that you were even able to buy replacement cushions for a 27 year old Fat Cat is amazing in this day and age.

John
True. The product has not changed much since I bought it. My cushions are one piece, joined with a piece of material that does not hold air. The replacements and current cushions are separate. I don't remember what I paid for it, I believe $250. It's probably worth around that now? Some of my friends have a little older version with the hard, non inflatable seat. They think mine is more comfortable.

I don't know if the quality has changed, but I sure admire the build in mine. I helped a friend assemble a Fish Cat this winter, and it was pretty cheap looking. I'm sure they are like most companies in the outdoor business, and have a value line that's probably imported, and the better lines made locally. If I was drifting rivers that were serious, I'd certainly look toward Outcast for a sturdy pontoon. For me, light weight and portability rule, and that's not really the thrust of Outcast beyond the Fat Cat line.

#6 ·
Interesting....
I don't recall Outcast offering a info inflatable seat SFC until the LCS model was introduced.
I bought a SFC with the foam seat in 2001 and used the heck out of it. When they introduced the LCS model with the inflatable seat, I bought two of those as I got a incredible deal on them. I figured the old foam seat version would give up the ghost eventually....wrong. Still going strong.
I sold one of the LCS models and the other is still in the box after 10 years or so I'd guess?
Inflatable seats as I recall started showing up more so on these kind of crafts in the last dozen years or so.
It seems odd they would have gone from an inflatable seat to foam seat then back to inflatable.
I may be wrong though and if they still have replacement seats for a 27 year old tube, that is awesome.
Outcast has always provided great service and glad they took good care of you.
SF

#7 ·
SF--you may be right in questioning the 27 years. My memory gets goofier every year. It's my best guess, and when I told Outcast they didn't say anything. Maybe he was giving the old guy a break ;-) or maybe I'm about right. Regardless, it's been in my garage a long, long time and still looks great.

#9 ·
Equally as good a product is their soft side cooler. I never use it as designed to fit in the rear of the SFC, but I take it on the boat, on trips, everywhere. The Yeti is nice, but this is SO convenient, so well made and so portable. I'll bet I've had that for 15 years anyway and it's in great shape and had a lot of use.

#12 ·
The new cushions came to $92 shipped. They are slightly larger than the old ones, but work fine in the old SFC. The old cushions are probably repairable--I just wanted new ones due to the age. I'll keep them around for a week or two should someone want to try. Just pay postage, shouldn't be much as I can shrink them down pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.