Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday my wife and I went fly fishing on the Yakima for the first time. By that I mean it was the first time that I took her fishing and the first time she's ever fished, period. She grew up in Yakima and was a regular participant in the rubber hatch as a teenager. That, however, is the extent of her relationship with that river. She has never given fly fishing much of a thought, and in fact when she drives to Yakima she takes I-82 instead of driving the canyon. She gets annoyed at me whenever I drive because we always take the canyon route. At least now she has a new perspective.

We floated Bristol to Thorp with Derek Young- this trip was my anniversary gift to her (happy 21st, dear). I gave her a 45 minute lawn casting lesson a couple weeks ago just so she'd have a basic feel for how to cast, but I knew early on that I was not going to try to teach her beyond that, or there wouldn't be a 22nd. Enter Derek. He worked very patiently with her all day, and she responded enthusiastically to his input, and was open-minded. Things would have been different had I been the one giving her instruction. And my instruction would have been lacking in patience, so there is no doubt that we made the right decision to involve a neutral third party.

Weather was great- low 80's, and even the w#nd didn't cause much of a problem. She caught a 2.5" troutlet on her first cast, and had enough hookups throughout the day to stay focused and enthusiastic. She landed 6 or so cutts during the course of our float, mostly in the 8-9" range. The big fish just weren't playing nicely. I caught one 10" hog but that didn't impress the Mrs. too much. In the end I think I landed 5 fish.

Expected to throw hopper patterns all day, but we saw only one real hopper all day. Golden stone dries got it done however. I was hoping we could be on the water for the evening caddis hatch but we pulled out before it got dark which was fine with Mrs. Itchy because she really doesn't like bugs, and a swarm of caddis crawling on her face and arms may have resulted in less than a favorable account of the day.

She was all smiles all day- having fun floating a river under blue skies (it was cloudy and cool back home), drinking a beer, and even catching a few fish. She finally understood why I like it, but admitted that she is not going to take up winter steelheading any time soon, and cautioned me against going out and buying her a bunch of gear prematurely. I promised not to get crazy, but I can see a pair of waders under the tree for her this year, however. It was fun to watch her having fun and learning to cast better, present flies, mend and of course strip.

I think I may be one step closer to getting a drift boat.

View attachment 33703 View attachment 33704

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Cool Itchy sounds like you all had a great time. I agree regarding the third party instructions, I just completed a two hour casting lesson with my wife of 25 yrs to get her started but all other instructions will be via a paid instructor otherwise I will not live to see our 26th ;)

·
545 Posts
That's awesome Itchy! It sounds like you are pretty excited about having a new fishing buddy. I too just got my wife to pick up a fly rod for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It helped that we were in the Bahamas and definitely helped that we were with a guide to help with instruction. I think she was motivated by watching me spook large schools of bonefish with just about every cast and thinking to herself it was like shooting fish in a barrel. She was humbled very quickly, but seemed to really enjoy it once she finally learned to let the rod do the work. Unfortunately, she didn't get into any fish, but maybe I'll have to get her out for a walk and wade on the Yak soon. Thanks for sharing...

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly I don't want to turn Mrs. Itchy into a fly fishing junkie because by going off fishing by myself or with my fishing buddies it gives her space and a break from me. However, as we get older we need to find something in common to do together. By introducing her to fly fishing I'm trying to avoid golf, tennis, lawn bowling and cruise ship vacations ;)

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Awesome. I had heard from Derek that you guys had a great time. Glad that she enjoyed herself, that you had fun and no one is surprised that you got outfished! Here is to a happy 22nd and lots of time for you to fly fish with your friends and Mrs. Itchy from time to time. Now about that drift boat...do you think she'd be interested in learning to row? You see where I'm going, right...

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ed, you see right through my transparent plan. I plan to tell her that rowing will be good exercise, which is paramount as we get older. Loss of bone density has been shown to be greatly reduced by strength training. Drift boat=good.

·
that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,159 Posts
Derek's one of the best guides in the PNW, in my opinion; perfect choice, Kirk. Her Ladyship enjoys drifting in our Clackacraft, but I haven't had time or water level to do the champagne shore lunch yet. My swan song was; rowing equals non-impact exercise, which justifies the champagne lunch, which justifies more rowing, with a little fishing thrown in. Therefore, we need the Clack!! ie: it worked for me:cool:

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
Kirk, you're on the right track. Ease her into it and before you realize it you may have a best fishin' bud. Just don't make the mistake my friend did; bought the little woman new waders for Xmas...............in his size!
Dumb ass!

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kirk, you're on the right track. Ease her into it and before you realize it you may have a best fishin' bud. Just don't make the mistake my friend did; bought the little woman new waders for Xmas...............in his size!
Dumb ass!
Sage advice, Mr. Engleheart, but not to worry- I would never buy Mrs. Itchy a pair of waders in my size.

They'd be too small.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Sage advice, Mr. Engleheart, but not to worry- I would never buy Mrs. Itchy a pair of waders in my size.

They'd be too small.
And she NEVER reads this forum, right???:hmmm:?

Oh my god....!!

Jc:clown:

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Now take her for a tropical trip (Cancun is an easy flight!) and spend a day or two chasing bonefish. Warm water, wading the flats and hooking into a couple silver rockets will really up her enthusiasm for fishing! BTW-when in the tropics, my wife reverts to a spinning rod as casting 50-80' in the wind isn't her cup of tea although she is a good caster on trout rivers. Rick

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
If our wives ever start reading this forum and/or start talking togeather, Wow! We could come home some day to find a smashed bunch of stuff in the garbage or maybe piled in the most conspicuous spot to emphisize their displeasure like where you usually park your drift boat. The boat being gone because she sold it to buy new curtains. The things nightmares are made of.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
That's okay Kirk, I sent her the linky! I assured her you were saying she would need TALLER waders, that is all...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.