Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to pick-up a Rio Nymph line for my med-fast Loomis Metolius 5 wt (9 ft) since there are number of good online closeouts. I've heard good things about this line and I usually end up indicator (wade) fishing the Yak anyhow.

I understand the Nymph line's fairly front heavy to begin with. Make sense to follow conventional wisdom on overlining for nymph rigs and go with a 6 wt Rio Nymph line for my 5 wt rod? Or stick with a 5 wt line?

Thanks for your input!

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I wouldn't. But I don't nymph fish that much. But, I'm an old guy that's been fly fishing for 50 years. All this new "fandago lines" seem like a lot of marketing mumbo jumbo. Why would you want to over line it anyway. I never found a need. The number of rod should match the number of line. Keep it simple. Don't let some of these people on here guide you in the wrong direction. But, maybe I don't know jack....

·
fish-ician
1,474 Posts
I have had the 7 wt rio nymph on my 7 wt rod for the last couple years and love it. I use it for steelhead fishing on the Ronde and usually have a lot of line out. Whether to go up a line wt or not would depend on how much line you expect to have out on your casting. If you normally fish with a shorter line, then go up a weight, but if you are booming out casts most of the time, stay with the 5 wt.

Wayne

·
Steelhead Junkie
242 Posts
I just fished my Sage 99 5wt rod for the first full day on Saturday having it lined with the new Rio indicator line in 5wt. The match is a perfect marriage and I would not want to go up to a 6wt line. I know they are not the same line, but I think they are darn close as the indi line replaced the nymph line. I might add the rod & line throw a lone dry fly nice (prefer my 9' 5wt though) and is killer for the dry/dropper set-up, whether it be close or long range casts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.