Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· "Chasing Riseforms"
4,862 Posts
Midges. Tiny stuff! BWO’s ought to be available. I haven’t fished the spring there but you may want to check the water levels before going there or call a fly shop in Boise and ask the conditions. Calibaetis emerger is good but it may not be warm enough then.

· Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
210 Posts
I will be heading to the Owyhee the last week of March and was wondering what bugs I should stock up on? Any advice would be appreciated since I have not fished the O before.

Thanks,
Hatches at that time of year are usually quite sparse on the Owyhee and flows will be at the low winter levels ( 10-50cfs). Larry is right on on the size and type, BUT I have experienced a Squalla hatch there some years in March. It wouldn't hurt to take a few Squalla patterns just in case. The best action however, will be on size 18-22 nymphs - Chironomids, RS2's, PT's, etc.

· Registered
45 Posts
I had a lot more fun swinging olive woolly buggers in pocket water. Let the bugger hang at the end of the swing and it would usually get hammered. I was there in April after the flows for irrigation increased.

We got some on size 22-26 midges, but also got some on freaking Chubby Chernobyls after I got tired of not being able to see my fly.

· Registered
1,177 Posts
It was a little cold there last week. Most folks were using real little stuff, #22 dries. I have no idea how they even tied the thing on. Hit a few fish on streamers. Hopefully going back next week. It's supposed to warm up a bit.

· Registered
725 Posts
The Subaru Outback Bearded Boise Guide Hatch goes on all day.
At that point I fish #20 PMDs and when I Nymph, a Flasback Pheasant Tail.
If you find the ant hole, by all means fish an ant.
The ant hole is a pull out with a steep bank.
When you see all the fish feeding on ants, you’ll know you’re there.
At that point you’ll see a dozen ants on your body.
How long you fish it depends on how much nerve you have.

Once the Subaru Outback Bearded Boise Guide Crew heads back to Boise for microbrew, usually an hour before dark, I tie on the biggest black wooly bugger I have.

This is when you should be in slower, deeper water.
A steady strip will elicit strikes from the biggest fish in each section of river.

But it usually takes multiple days to figure that place out the first time.
There are rattlesnakes if you venture out of the pullouts.

As noted, it’s not what it once was.
Boise ruined it.

· Registered
6,714 Posts
I will be heading to the Owyhee the last week of March and was wondering what bugs I should stock up on? Any advice would be appreciated since I have not fished the O before.

Thanks,
Why don't you visit or a call a local fly shop...that's the best place for real time, real location from local experts. Lots of good info here from knowledgeable and experienced folks, but you gotta think the shop people will be able to provide as good or better information, and you might get tips on the best local bugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.