Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new hip or sling pack for beach fishing and am wondering what people use or would prefer to use if given the choice. I have been checking out the hip packs from Fishpond and Patagonia (waterproof). What do you guys think about a waterproof vs non waterproof and any pros or cons for the gear you currently use?

·
Beach Bum
1,432 Posts
I used the orvis sling pack for years, but it really was too small. A bottle of water and it was hard to zip. The bigger sizes from all the companies will serve you better. Think about a rain jacket and water bottle fitting in with your gear at a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
The newer Orvis sling packs are roomier, with a waterproof option. I have been coveting Leland's Orvis Guide sling pack for a while now. I have been using hip/shoulder strap packs for over 30 years, and I like them. My Patagonia chest pack was converted to hip use. I used it for over 15 years. My Orvis Guide hip pack is just a few years old. I have to rinse them with freshwater frequently.
But I can see that the waterproof sling packs offer better and simpler access, and they stay out of the water.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I love my Fishpond!! Waterproof, roomy, tons of features, plus it looks great. The Patagonia version is bland looking and lacks some features. I just expect to get wet so it is my year round beach pack!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have an older Orvis sling. Non waterproof. It's the smaller version and it's too small. Everything gets soaked in the rain. I've got my eye on the new Orvis sling coming out:

Luggage and bags Bag Backpack Font Service

·
McFly
401 Posts
I'm using the Simms waterproof waist pack when beach fishing. Its roomy and I also like that it has a shoulder strap to attach so you can carry over your shoulder, although I wouldn't use it as a sling pack. I like to bring it in boats on float trips or on stillwater to use as a boat bag to keep things dry.

·
formally FlyOnThe Beach
28 Posts
I'm using the Simms waterproof waist pack when beach fishing. Its roomy and I also like that it has a shoulder strap to attach so you can carry over your shoulder, although I wouldn't use it as a sling pack. I like to bring it in boats on float trips or on stillwater to use as a boat bag to keep things dry.
I got the same one. Great bag. I do find carrying a bag is usually cumbersome. This one works great for the boat or storing stuff. I will now go bare essentials as I prefer to be on the move on the beach and a stripping basket is bad enough. One small spool of leader material, half dozen flies and fishing license (all fits in wader pocket). In my years of fishing I have seen people tend to want to carry everything and use nothing.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I've got the old Orvis Sling pack and it has been quite handy, but it is true, it is a little small and does get wet. But, I really like it and will be getting the new version which is somewhat water resistant and much better than the old one. Regardless, it is so nice and easy to slip it out of your way to your backside and fish away.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have been really happy with this Simms Waypoint Hip Pack:

Clock Rectangle Gadget Font Personal protective equipment

Not sure if it's the same one kmac is talking about. The shoulder strap lets you unbuckle the waist and spin it around to your front for accessing gear. The main compartment only opens so far so it makes a little tray you can lay your rod on while tying flies or whatever.
Luggage and bags Automotive lighting Bag Travel Automotive exterior

Lots of organization options inside. Plenty of room for a days worth of tackle, however not enough for a rain jacket inside, but it does have straps on the outside you can lash things to. I fit a Nalgene water bottle in mine with two fly boxes and all my other bs.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
@Nick Clayton has a nifty product, but I can't recall the name.
I've been using this backpack for about a year now. I bought it last year at the fly fishing show in Lynnwood.

After a year of use I really like the unit. I keep fly boxes, leader etc in the lower retractable part for easy access while the rest of the backpack has plenty of room for lunch, water, rain jacket, camera etc etc. It's not water proof, but it's very water resistant and while I've had it out in serious rain for long periods I've never had anything inside get wet.

It's bigger than most of the small sling packs but not much bigger than the Patagonia waterproof sling.

Just another option to consider.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.