Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Still DoubleUgly
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'll be in the Panama City area in March and was hoping to bring a rod and try my luck. Has anyone fished this area? Any tips? I'll probably bring my 8wt with a sinking and a floating line. Flies? General approach? Thanks in advance!

-Luke

·
Registered
133 Posts
8wt is a good choice, and though the tarpon are there, don't bother unless you get heavier gear. Inshore redfish, snook, jack crevalle and speckled trout would all be within reach of the marshy areas, if you get out on a boat. From the beach itself, it's mostly gonna be whiting and the occasional of any of the species mentioned above. Bring plenty of black clousers, crab patterns, and poppers and you should do alright.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I've only gear fished down there but did so pretty regularly for 5 years. Back then I could fish a lot...almost daily before and after work. Inshore areas and beach shallows I think I'd be okay with a 6 to 8wt but totally agree with JRF, if you get into some cobia (on long "eel like" flies) you will need more than an 8wt. Lots of red drum, mackerel, speckled, pompano and a few others that I can't recall now. Your post reminds me of days of less responsibility and more fishing time...wish I would have been a fly rod fisherman then.

·
Still DoubleUgly
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going there for work at Tyndall AFB, but I should one day that I can try my luck in the surf. What's the weather like down there in March?

Thanks,
Luke

·
Still DoubleUgly
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How about the tides? Better on a moving tide, i.e. coming in or going out, or better on a slack tide?

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.