Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a conference in Park City this coming weekend and I'll be along for the ride. I hadn't even considered getting out to fish, because I figured I'd be taking care of my daughter most of the time, but now it looks like I might be freed up on Saturday.

Anyone have any recommendations on a fly shop to check out in town or a place to go wet a line? I've been looking at Jordanelle State Park as a place to hang out with the kid and maybe catch some perch.

Any other suggestions on kid friendly hikes (the kid can manage about 5 miles roundtrip) or things to do for the day? And if I get a chance to take off on my own for an afternoon?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There's a fly shop in PC. Trout Bum 2.

The provo river is within 30 minutes if you've got a car. No idea what it fishes like this time of year. I've been a couple times for the same reason, but it was in the early fall.

·
hardcore flyfishing addict
216 Posts
Go to the Provo River between Jordanelle and Deer Creek reservoirs. Thirty minutes away. Walk and wade fishing for brown trout. Nymphing is usually the best way to go after them (although I did catch my first fish on a dry fly that I tied on the Provo River) Call the shop in Park city or the shop in Heber to find out how the fishing is going. You should be able to find good fishing, even if you have to go down below Deer Creek reservoir, which would add another 30-60 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Several years ago I was in Park City. Although I did not fish, I did take a look around. There was a fly shop on the way into town, and I think there were one or two more. I took a drive along the section of the Provo noted above. Glad to hear from others above that its a good section.

When I was there it was probably March, the weather was raw, a public parking area along the river was mostly empty, and a hatch was coming off with abundant swallows above the river.

Now I know that if I ever have the chance, I should take rod and waders.

jay

·
Registered
533 Posts
Several years ago I was in Park City. Although I did not fish, I did take a look around. There was a fly shop on the way into town, and I think there were one or two more. I took a drive along the section of the Provo noted above. Glad to hear from others above that its a good section.

When I was there it was probably March, the weather was raw, a public parking area along the river was mostly empty, and a hatch was coming off with abundant swallows above the river.

Now I know that if I ever have the chance, I should take rod and waders.

jay
In 1971 there was a ditch to the north as you approached Park City West ski resort. It ran to the north out in a non fenced field. Pretty good brown trout fishing. Maybe give it a look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I managed to get out on the Provo River for a couple of hours, and had a great time. I've never fished such a crowded stretch of water, but everyone was very civil and I found a few fish to be cooperative, so no complaints from me.

I stopped in at Trout Bum 2 for a license, some flies and some rental boots, since I couldn't manage to fit boots in my carry on. They were very helpful and were among the many people to warn me about the crowds I would encounter. Still, the river was only 30 minutes outside of town and was perfect for me to sneak away to for a couple hours.

One of the things that impressed me about the river was that despite the large numbers of anglers and hikers along the trail and in the river, it was remarkably clean (as in free of garbage). I usually try to bring a plastic bag with me to collect garbage and debris, and all I managed on this trip was 1 stray water bottle and a discarded pack of smokes. (I also found 2 streamers, one along the trail that looked like it never touched water and another on a log that I also got hung up on) Funny thing was, as I was approaching my car at the end of the day there was a gentleman parked next to me who was changing out of his waders and into his cowboy boots and he was sorta looking at me funny as I was approaching, and then as I get to my car he says to me, "Oh, that's garbage you were collecting. I thought you had some fish and I was gonna have to hit you in the head with a rock." Guess I'm glad he wasn't a shoot first and ask questions later kinda fella.

Thanks to all who provided some information. Water Water resources Plant Sky Plant community

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.