Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a Partridge CS42 "bomber" style hook alternative as it seems these are either scarce or not longer available. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so what have you come up with as an alternative for top water, finer wire, eye down hooks in the 6 or 8 size range? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
If you are looking for a good, solid, well-made down-eye hook for tying BOMBERS, there are several very good alternatives. I personally use the Daiichi #2220 in #2,4,and 6 for BOMBERS and in #8 for MOOSE TURDS. This is a 2x heavy, 4xlong, tapered down-eye hook that has a shank length nearly identical the the Partridge 'bomber' hook. Tiempco makes a similar hook, the TMC5263. Targus has the 5263, a near dead ringer for the Tiempco. The Mustad Signature Hook # R75 is another very good 2x heavy, 4x long down-eye hook that is suitable. All of these hooks are great alternatives for the Partridge "Bomber Hook" (CS42) and all are very well-made hooks, with very sharp points.

·
Registered
332 Posts
FWIW-- Mustad recently sold the Partridge brand to a UK company. I don't expect to see many Partridge hooks on this side of the pond in the future as a result, which is too bad as they do have some good hooks, especially if you fish the salt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all for the comments and especially you FT, I'll check your suggestions out especially for size 8s.
I found a few (size 2 through 6) CS42's still available from Sandy at AATF, if anyone else is still looking for the real deal. :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was in Michael & Youngs Surrey store today and they had 2 size 2 packs and a number of size 4 packs (25's). I asked Ryan the manager if he could get more and he said he could. One of the local wholesalers, Rob, the owner of Fly Angler Distributors was in the shop as well and he said he had lots and he could get them into the shop no problem.I just talked to Al their shipper and he says there is no problem shipping them to the US. Here is a link to M&Y's web site. You can also call them toll free at 1-800-663-6407

http://www.myflyshop.com

Cliff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all.

I was in the shop (M&Y) again today and it appears that the only sizes available are 2's, 4's and 6's. Apparently 8's and smaller haven't been manufactured in quite some time. Sorry if this got hopes up, my bad.

Cliff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.