Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 12 year old son out to Pass Lake yesterday as it was spring break for him. What a day it was. The morning started with rain but by 10:00, it had turned to overcast. By noon, it was sunny and beautiful. Fortunately, we got a late start and didn't hit the lake until noon.

My son was anxious to catch a larger fish so anything hooked he took. We started with wooley buggers and got into three fish pretty quickly. The first one took and my son quickly grabbed the reel handle, snap went the tippet. We rigged up another bugger and in 15 minutes had the second one on. He brought that one to hand and we quickly measured it. It was 16 inches and very fat. His personal best for a rainbow. The third one he played for 20 seconds before it threw the hook.

We then switched to chironomids and fished the northwest corner of the lake as we saw some guys consistently getting into fish. We didn't have to wait long. We had 7 hits and hooked into 4 fish. All of them got off however. I couldn't quite get my son to keep a tighter line so he could properly set.

We then broke for lunch around 2:00 and headed into Oak Harbor for lunch with the grandparents. After lunch, we ran out to lighthouse point at Deception Pass.

We hit the lake again around 5 and started with chironomids again. We had 5 hits and hooked 3. We didn't land any. We then switched to buggers as my son was anxious to row. We trolled the lake basically thrashing the lake to a froth as my son got the hang of rowing. Our poor buggers were doing 12 knots hence we didn't catch a thing until my son tired out.

Once tired, we slowed the pace and managed to hook into 2 more fish. The first one I handled and quickly lost. (Like father, like son). The second one was a beauty of a fish but we lost it after a short battle.

All in all, it was a great day. Nothing beats time with your kids especially in a setting like Pass Lake.

(There was about 15 other anglers on the lake. It was a high number for a weekday. Most appeared to be using chironomids.)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think the crowds at Pass have increased this year. Kind of suprising with the 5 buck parking fee. That's great you got into some fish. 15 years ago, I was 12, and my dad was rowing me around pass lake! :thumb YT:D

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm headed there tomorrow (thurs 4/17). Hopefuly the crowds wont be so bad, but actually 15 other guys on the lake is livable. Just wont be able fo fish some of the better spots. Are the parking permits availible at the launch or do I have to go somewhere else to get one? It's my first time going there since they started the parking fee. Also, with that many people were there many parking spaces left?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The parking fee box is right by the information board in the main parking lot. It's easy to spot.

Even though I was surprised at the number of people, the lake didn't feel that crowded. There were groups of people in different sections. We just had to watch where we were rowing more than usual.

Pete

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya. I grew up near Pass Lake and spent many weekends dragging around buggers without a hit. There were far more than I care to count. I still love that lake though.

Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.