Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The Tug Is The Drug
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the latest from Pass Saturday:

The water temp was up a little and the fish were sulking. Got there and on the lake about 1600 for the evening bite. Got one on in the same place as 2 weeks ago, but lost it close to the boat. Decided to try my usual spot where I have taken some big browns. The water level was up quite a bit and I think it gave the fish a place to ambush from some deeper water. Pitched one of my go to flies, bounced off a rock and a brown came out and swiped at it, but missed. Crap. I moved down about 15 feet and lock into what I know is a brown. I look around and do not see the Eagles anywhere. The thing comes up and the tail is massive. Probably the biggest brown yet I have hooked....I am guessing 24 to 25 inches. I get the thing about 5 feet from me and all of sudden the eagle comes down, its talons nick the leader and the fish is gone. So pissed!! I am glad the fish got away, but very disappointed I did not land it. Even more so that you put in your time and pay dues to get fish like that only to be lost to nature. I did feel bad because the hook was still in its mouth somewhere
It was probably a little naive of me to think they were not around. Trouble was there was no other fisherman on the lake for them to dive bomb and be distracted.

Can anyone refresh me on the time it takes for hooks to rust out in freshwater??

·
Retired, gone fishin'
1,692 Posts

The water temp was up a little and the fish were sulking. Got there and on the lake about 1600 for the evening bite. Got one on in the same place as 2 weeks ago, but lost it close to the boat. Decided to try my usual spot where I have taken some big browns. The water level was up quite a bit and I think it gave the fish a place to ambush from some deeper water. Pitched one of my go to flies, bounced off a rock and a brown came out and swiped at it, but missed. Crap. I moved down about 15 feet and lock into what I know is a brown. I look around and do not see the Eagles anywhere. The thing comes up and the tail is massive. Probably the biggest brown yet I have hooked....I am guessing 24 to 25 inches. I get the thing about 5 feet from me and all of sudden the eagle comes down, its talons nick the leader and the fish is gone. So pissed!! I am glad the fish got away, but very disappointed I did not land it. Even more so that you put in your time and pay dues to get fish like that only to be lost to nature. I did feel bad because the hook was still in its mouth somewhere
It was probably a little naive of me to think they were not around. Trouble was there was no other fisherman on the lake for them to dive bomb and be distracted.

Can anyone refresh me on the time it takes for hooks to rust out in freshwater??
That really sucks. Those dang eagles are a bugger. Scared the hell out of me a few weeks back making multiple dives too close for comfort.
Congrats on hooking the big brown.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts

It seems the "rust and dissolve story" is not that definitive. At least not from my blackle searches. You can get about the same amount of responses on leave it in and the fish will somehow shake it out, only a few on it will will rust out, and another group that advocate the fishes demise.

Remember that Ben Franklin wanted the Turkey instead of the Eagle. Your Eagle was doing what Eagles have been conditioned to do; looking for the easy meal.

Reactions: blackbird
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.