Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Saturday from 1:00 till dark. The water is 66 degrees on the surface, and still fairly clear,except for all the daphnia swimming around(I wonder if the trout eat them--imagine tying a fly to imitate something the size of a flea!)
The fish were hanging on the bottom, about 10-16 feet. I caught six from 14-18", on filoplume mayflies and my own special soft hackle glass bead head bugger that they seem to enjoy.
In the afternoon an eagle watched in envy as I landed a few fish, and a turkey vulture flew along the shoreline so close I could hear the wind through his feathers. That's Pass Lake for you.
Oh--one female I landed started spewing out eggs on my float tube. Isn't it a little late for them to be in spawning mode?
aaron j

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
Yes the trout do feed on Daphnia. They feed not on one bug at a time but as a group. Saw an artical awhile back to use a leech pattern and dabbing paint on the ends of the fibers to imitate a small swarm of the Dabhnia. Use a slow sinking line and let sink slowly then pull back toward the surface very slowly. The paint drops on the outside fibers look like the outside of the swarm and the leech itself as the main concentration itself. I have not tried this yet myself but I thought the idea sounded intresting to try sometime.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Daphnia pattern you are talking about is from "Nymphs, Tying and Fishing." by Larry Tullis. It's a good fly to have in your box when you find trout feeding on the little critters. Use mohair for your leech body, pick out the fibers, and dab small dots of red paint to imitate the Daphnia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.