Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy and I are going to go to Pass lake on Saturday night to fish followed by (hopefully) camping at Bowman Bay. We are going to arrive around 8 or 9 and set up camp and then fish. On Sunday we are going to either fish Pass Lake or Lone Lake. I am not sure about availability of sites at Bowman Bay, but it isn't a holiday weekend and I am assuming things should be fine. Let me know if there are any takers and we can figure out particulars.

Stephen

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
schmokin'reel!!!

Stephen- im gonna be on whidbey this sat and sun and was thinking of fishing pass lake also so if you guys are gonna be up there maybe ill see ya. ill be solo so if i see 2 guys ill speak up and yell a WWF call' haha - bhudda:smokin

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. We will either be in a Blue Dodge Dakota or a Red Acura Integra. I will be in a mostly green with bright orange tube and my friend will be in a blue and orange Wood River float tube. We are both young whipper snappers (19 years young). Should be easy to spot

G

·
I might be heading up to Pass tommorrow. What are the damages for campsites per night there?
I'll be there fairly well before 8 or 9 (like by 6), if I do go. I'll be in a blue Super FatCat.
:smokin

G

·
Hey - sorry I somehow missed you guys... got off the water about 8:30 and left about 9, not sure if you dudes were still en route - BUT, that's okay because from about 7:30 to 8:30 I had way too much fun fishing dries and was thereby rendered goofy and incoherent anyways.

There were a very few #16 olive bodied adult midges about, and alot of smaller #18 - #20 lighter, tan bodied adults, but there were enough big-daddy tan bodied bomber midges around that I decided to go with:
#14 Tan CDC Hatching Midge (fish 1-6)
#14 Tannish Olive Cripple/Emerger (fish 7 and 8)

The water is feeling a little warm, so I played these guys with considered haste (ldr'd one as a result). I doubt I'll be back until Fall (when the water cools again and the fish will be less-stressed).

Catch Y'all On the Flip Side

·
Stephen Mull
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, we didn't hit the lake until about 10. Sounds like you hit it at the right time. I wish I had gotten a chance to learn from your expertise. 8 fish is far more than either of us have ever caught there. My buddy and I both took note of the water temp. I actually noticed it a couple weeks ago when I was there. It hasn;t gotten much warmer since then, but it is very warm nonetheless.

G

·
Yeah, Pass has its moods... The only time I do really well up there is during any of the three major events I know of - Fall Roundup (as in trout rounding up and slashing at baitfish), Spring Chironomids, and the odd Film Fest (as in surface film). Last night was a Film Fest. If it weren't for that, I'd be working the shore still, stripping something big, happy with the OCCASIONAL big fish.

Y'know... it's pretty much getting to be damsel time (forget Pass)!

:beer2

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'll be up at Pass Saturday afternoon and into and after dark. I usually fish the north side from the point to the farm house and over to the next bay. I have a dark blue fat cat. Come on over and introduce yourselves, for Christ's sake! Might be my last time up there until fall, so I've got to make the most of it. See you there.

Happiness is a tight line.

aaron j

G

·
Any Quality Lake 6 hours north and south of Nunnally, to include Nunnally, Merry and Lenice, is a worthy damsel target of mine. Of course, Lone is an exceptional westside lake in that it is practically as rich as all those eastside lakes... and I'll stop right there.

Were you fishing damsels????????????????????????????!

G

·
You might at Lone, but not at Pass (except that that point between the launch and NW corner might be worth a toss if you see a fish working close to the shore there in the next few weeks) so much. Pass does have damsels, just not nearly the extensive habitat or numbers that Lone and other eastside lakes do (in abundance). A lake needs to be repleat with extensive shallows (1-10 feet deep) and aquatic plant growth to generate the numbers that result in trout in the shallows, eventually finding adults to be a menu "special" to look out for.

There are a couple westside lakes that actually have sweet damsel opportunities (as in real migrations, trout really keyed in on them). Still, numbers aren't what they are in the east, hence adults don't become as important as reliably or to the same (near the same) extent. Over the next few weeks, adult damsels will become increasingly important in the Basin/Okanogan... Over time, trout will begin to recognize the adults more and more as damsels are blown into the drink while the trout are on the prowl. At some point, given mostly calm conditions, adults will assemble to mate. Given an occasional breeze interspersed with prevailingly calm conditions (as in glass calm)... Look Out.

Have you ever had a damsel/callibaetis masking hatch? Trout are on callibaetis nymphs/damsels nymphs (you're fishing a damsel nymph at first because you haven't seen the callibaetis yet), at first. Then fish turn to emerging callibaetis and adults (as damsel adults do as well), while some are still on the mayfly and damselfly nymphs. At about the time callibaetis spinners come into the picture (damsel adults still picking mayflies, cripples and spinners now, off the surface), you hear and see some more aggro rises closer to shore. They're starting to find adults. Fish keying in on one of two or more stages of two different insects. It's calm and pretty dang warm most the time. The breeze is a relief and puts enough damsels into the drink to seriously spike the stakes. Trout (and swallows by air, assorted fowl by reeds) are chowing on callibaetis and damsels. Damsels are chowing on callibaetis. Pretty soon, there are blue damsel adults friggin' everywhere. And they're mating.
I gotta stop...

Damsels!
:beer2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.