Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went up to Pass Lake yesterday. There was a lot of algae in the water, kind of strange for the middle of winter. Can anyone explain a mid winter algae bloom? Anyway, with Sunday being one of the warmer, drier days this week and the rivers pretty much blown, thought we’d give Pass a try. As usual for winter, slow and low was the order of the day. Didn't see any bug activity, no hatches and no shucks. We had 10 hits with 2 'bows to the boat. The two we brought in were about 14” and very, very skinny (sorry no pics) with no fight at all. Saw a few others on the water and only saw one other caught. Alas, a few more months the weather will improve and the waters will warm and the Yakima will kick back in. I think I’ll tie a few hundred more flies and wait out the winter.

·
Flaccid Member
3,900 Posts
in my experience the algae actually improves the fishing. lowered visibility = more aggressive trout. some of my best fish (and days for that matter) have come during the dreaded pea soup hatch of spring and fall. just curious.... did you stick to your strategy (presentation no fly) all day? or did you experiment? trolling or casting?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.