Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished pass lake from 8 am til 3 pm on saterday and 8 am
til 12 pm.It was pretty winy on saterday but I managed 4
rainbows from 12 to 15 inches long i was trolling a wooly bugger with a type 5 sinking line.Fished sunday,no wind 3 fish
a 19 inch rainbow a 22 inch brown and a 14 inch rainbow
also using a small bugger with the sinking ling.Best lake on the west side of the mountains.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good reports. My brother hit Pass on Sunday AM. He took 7 RB's about the sizes you caught. He was in that green drift boat, fishing midges.
If you think about it, try and fill out the creel census for the Fidalgo Fly Fishers.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When we were there a week ago we out fished every one on the lake by trolling a small to medium sized wooly bugger on a full sinking line.Every one we talked to that was fishing
midges didn't catch any fish but they were fishing the midges
under an indicator with different lengths of leaders from 4 to 20
feet long so you just have to experament.If i was going to fish
that way i would use a 12 to 20 foot leader.The set up that is most common is a floating line with a leader that varies in length with a strike indicater on the leader with the desired depth below the indicator with your midge tied to the end of your leader.Usually people will put a small split shot about 2 feet above the midge but that is not legal at pass because it is a flyfishing lake only so i would use a bead head chironimid
(midge) in a size 10 to 16. Please let us know how you do up
there at pass lake.GOOD LAKE. :THUMBSUP

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
fly15,

I agree with your "midge setup". This is mostly called chironomid fishing. The trick with the long leader is to find the bottom and set your indicator so that your fly is 6 or so inches up from the bottom. People use a variety of stripping techniques, from slow to veeerrry slooowww to no stripping at all. You are right about Pass Lake being fly fishing only waters. Under WDFW rules for fly only you cannot add weight to your line. Any extra weight must be incorporated into the fly when tied. I doubt this is enforced much but, a game warden with a chip on might write you for this.

KLS

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree w/ Fly15, trolling with the leeches or woolly buggers is my favorite method at Pass when I'm in my float tube. But my brother has a drift boat,and it is very comfortable just to sit and fish chironomids.Here's how I do it:
Anchor securely, for a boat that means fore and aft.this can be in water from 8 to 20 ft. deep. Use beadheads to get the fly down. Pinch a pair of hemostats on the fly bend. Lower until you touch bottom. Set the indicator on the leader. Remember to slide to indicator on before you tie on the fly. Ha Ha .I use a corkie with a cocktail toothpick point to hold it in place. Pull up hemostats and take them off. Again Ha Ha .Cast down or across the wind. Your fly should be just over the bottom after you cast out and let it sink. Keep out the slack and watch the indicator.If no strikes adjust the indicator toward the fly. The fish can be taking anywhere in the water column. Thats my basics. I hope I haven't given too much information. Just have fun and be patient. Check out the bcadventure.com for paterns and info. Good fishing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.