Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a different post, as I'm actually finally visiting Washington (i'm in Victoria) for the first time (with the exception of I've been to UW for rowing, and to the Seattle Airport)

I'm picking my girlfriend up in Seattle mid-day Sunday (coming from Victoria) so I thought I'd take the scenic route and a bit of extra time instead of blitzing down through vancouver/the peace arch crossing. My rough outline is as follows:

I don't have anything picked out to take care of saturday afternoon/night, nor sunday morning. I was wondering if there are any fishing/fly fishing spots (or any other awesome things to do) along the way that might be reliable (need to decide what gear I can fit in the car)
Is Forks & Rialto Beach worth the extra 3 hours of driving it would add to the trip? (I'd shift everything back, go there first, and probably spend Sat night in Port Townsend.

Kind of unrelated but does anyone know if the Cabelas in Lacey is dog friendly? (or I've heard some have kennels outside down in the states?) I don't want to leave the pupper in the car, and also don't want to do a big detour to find out I'll have to leave her in the car.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
The Cabelas in Tulalip is is closer to downtown Seattle. Take the Edmonds/Kingston then drive North on I-5. Dogs allowed.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Not much fly fishing there now, water is low and pretty warm, many rivers are closed No coho fishing in area 4.5.6 right now.

A few miles west of Port Angeles is Crescent Lake, boat/kayak,canoe rental ( take the dog along in the boat, problem solved ) lodge, passable food, and no fishing licence required in that lake being in Olympic Nat'l Park. Two unusual fish there, a rare Rainbow variant and rare Cutthroat. They tend to be deep, lots of tackle restrictions for gear fishermen. Lake is clear, deep, beautiful, but gets windy in a hurry.

Weather right now is hot and dry, much of Olympic Nat'l back country has travel restrictions due to fires, changing rapidly inquire at the Visitor Center in Port Angeles. Good fly shop in P A that will have latest river info is Waters West , 140 W Front St, close by the ferry dock.

Port Townsend: lots of eating places along the water, good micro brew vibe, kind of a "yachtie " port.

Port Angles is more a blue collar, real working port. You and the dog can romp along Ediz Hook up to the chain link fence at the Coast Guard station. It's all roadside, so no chance to let the pup run.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
We just got back from Queets river. Beautiful area. We camped right off the shore. Caught as many small bows as I wanted to. Hooked a nice 16 inch SRC. If you go that way let me know and I can tell you an awesome place to camp.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
We just got back from Queets river. Beautiful area. We camped right off the shore. Caught as many small bows as I wanted to. Hooked a nice 16 inch SRC. If you go that way let me know and I can tell you an awesome place to camp.
Those are 99% for sure, steelhead smolts (and if not keen on identifying small salmonids, likely salmon mixed in too) and should not be overfished. If you catch a couple, move on and/or change tactics. Precious little fish-just a friendly heads up and a good thing to educate others on as I was taught many, many years back.

Any of the big coastal rivers will have aggressive salmon and steelhead fingerlings and smolts. We need to protect every one best we can. Mistaking these for run of the mill trout and catching dozens a day is disastrous and a bad deal.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Definitely wasn't targeting then. I was using a large attractor fly with no luck, then added a copper John dropper and they were all over it. Switched to a larger streamer pattern and they were hitting that as well.

Caught this nice cutty on one of the streamers.
Organism Fish Salmon-like fish Marine biology Fish products

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.