Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up one of these last week.
http://www.patagonia.com/product/fly-fishing-atom-sling-pack-15-liters/48326.html

Used it one day down in Oregon on the Metolios; extremely happy with it. Very handy, comfortable, well thought out piece. I walked about 5mi that day searching for bull trout holding water (only had a few tugs, river was high and hard to find good holes). At $130.00 it's not cheap, but worth the extra IMO. The design is really nice for spey casting since it swings completely out of the way behind your back when fishing. Highly recommended if you're looking for a pack capable of holding a days worth of fishing gear, a small lunch and a water jug (or can of beer :) ) and don't mind spending a bit more for comfort, convenience and high quality materials and build.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
I have this and the Patagonia Stormfront sling which is both bigger and waterproof. Between the two I'm pretty covered for about any day on the water.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I picked one up a while back and so far love it. Very well thought out and user friendly. I don't care much that it's not waterproof. Ease of use is king to me. Fishing gear by definition is made to get wet. Most of the time it's not pouring, and the internal WP bag protects wallet and phone.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Anyone considering these packs should be advised that there are two different sizes out there (well, three if you count the "vest front" sling).

The newer one is 15L and has a significantly bigger main pocket. The original was a smaller size, 7L I think, and didn't have the larger pocket on the chest strap. I believe, though am not sure, that the vest-front version was the same size as the original with the addition of a bunch of vest-style pockets on the chest strap.

The newer 15L version is much more useful overall. The pockets on the chest strap are better designed and the pack itself can hold lunch or a lightweight layer as the day warms up. The original is a nice pack, but it's really only a useful size if you aren't trying to carry much with you. That said, it's useful enough that I couldn't get myself to sell it when I got the newer version . I still use it for quick wet wading trips in the summer.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Oh yeah, I have the original. Which is why the original plus the bigger stormfront make a good combo for me. Quick trips and longer full day type trips with more crap.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For sure. I just wanted to leave a heads-up here for anyone who saw the positive comments and ended up looking or ebay or in the classifieds for one.
Good call.

FWIW, the lack of 'waterproofness' isn't an issue for me with this rig. The hard-sided workspace area keeps things dry from what I can tell (haven't emersed it yet), and the built in waterproof ziplock keeps the wallet and cellphone dry (I keep my phone in a waterproof otter case anyway). The rest of it holds stuff that is waterproof by design as someone has already mentioned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.