Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given mother nature cooperates, what would the best bets be for the Peninsula this weekend. Everyone keeps saying that this is the time on the Pen. when one can catch that once in a lifetime steelhead. ANY Steelhead for me, at this point, will be that once in a lifetime fish. From everyone's experience, what are the best bets for the peninsula for the first weekend in April. I havent looked yet to see whats still open to fish. I've heard, "upper Hoh." I've heard, "Upper Bogy, the Sol Duc." Hell I've heard every river up there. But I would like to get some FACT from those that cast flies for steelhead this time of year on the Peninsula. I'd like to go again, and would like to hit somewhere that I might have better odds of catching one. I have yet to catch one and been out 24 times for steelhead. Done the guide thing a couple times, done the camping / exploring thing a bunch of times. Found some good water and seen fish taken.....but none on my equipment. This trip will more than likely be my last for the winter/spring as its getting to be trout season. Rocky Ford reminded me that I am still a capable fly fisherman yesterday, but I still got the steelhead fever. Where should I make the last HOORAH? There has to be an Idiot spot out there somewhere where even I could catch a steelhead.....maybe! Feel free to respond via email if you dont want to post on here...just looking for some info; no ones secrets. Thanks in advance. Jay

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This post got no responses at all. whats going on folks? I am still going to go and explore more water in serach of the first this weekend.....I was hoping that some of you who fish the pen. quite a bit could get me going in the right direction. That would probably save me a ton of gas rather than driving aimlessly around. I was thinking of going North of all the Glam. peninsula rivers......any info on the Psycht (spelling)?

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
I didn't even see this post. I've always had good luck on Upper Hoh this time of year. When I'm feeling good (on L&I right now) I always made an April float at end of season. Always would get into a fish or two (late steelhead or early springers). The upper Bogie is good to. The nice thing about all the river access above 101, they are C&R for natives. Most guys stay away from them. My friend who recently did the Hoh was alone ALL DAY in his DB from Morgan's to Oxbow. Go up the N Hoh Rd and hit near willoughby and minnie peterson. Good fly water. If you like to walk, go up into the park itself and hike the trails. There are some good fly water off the trails.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
While the Hoh may be a good bet, the water is a little high. You can fish it though.I would not recommend hike and wade trips on the upper river, high up in the park- you have a good chance of trampling spawning redds now there. Maybe we'll see you out there.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Steelheader! I have fished willoughby area a time or 12 earlier in the year. I have never made it to hike back in the park - I guess I should have. I have heard there is some sweet waters up there. I think the plan as it stands right now is the Upper Bogy saturday and then a float on sunday on a different peice of water. If you dont mind....what are some decent access points or whatnot on the bogy? I have never driven up undie road. Any mile markers or something that I may want to keep in mind?

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.