Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Needs to fish more..
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the Jimmy Green Fly fishing fair last weekend I cast the Winston Boron II-MX 9'6'' 5wt and am convinced it is the perfect beach rod.
Has anyone else used this rod for the beaches?

·
Live to fish, fish to live.
93 Posts
I've used it a ton from beaches and my boat. Floaters, intermediates, and streamer express lines. It IS the perfect PS rod in my humble opinion. Lots of power and with the Boron through the butt section it can more than handle most PS coho.:thumb:

·
aka Dave Hoover
1,348 Posts
My ~ $40 Eagle Claw Granger XG Rod has caught and handled PS Coho (and a couple big Redfish in FL) too if that's the standard for a "perfect" beach rod.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
There are so many choices and opinions that it doesn't seem like anyone has the answer. I personally think the perfect beach rod is whatever you are comfortable casting up to 80 feet or so and that you hook and land fish quickly with. I think the flies and presentation are more important that whether you have the right stick. It is what you make it whether you pay $50 or $500 for it. I have several choices and use them all depending on what I'm fishiong for and how I feel that day. The flies remain the same.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
If you can huck the flies you normally fish with through the wind you normally encounter, you're golden.
I rely on a 6 to handle the usual breeze and/or throw poppers. Sure, it's more rod than you need for most fish but I can bring the little guys in quickly.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I have casted the Boron II MX 9'6" 5 weight too. It reminded me of my Sage TCR. It was a nice casting rod and definite eye candy, really nice reel seat/hardware. I believe that rod is more like a 6 weight or perhaps a 5.5 weight rod. Do people over line the II MX series in general?

·
Live to fish, fish to live.
93 Posts
Porter,

I don't over line mine with a standard floater, especially if your trying to reach out a little further. It can however handle a 200gr Streamer Express to quickly pick it up and shoot with minimal false casting, which definitely will put a bend in it.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
The perfect beach rod is one with me on one end and a big fish on the other..........
Ron that only happens when one of us bombs out big two handed overhead cast, hooks said big fish and hands the rod over to you...

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
If you can huck the flies you normally fish with through the wind you normally encounter, you're golden.
I rely on a 6 to handle the usual breeze and/or throw poppers. Sure, it's more rod than you need for most fish but I can bring the little guys in quickly.
iagree

I look at it the same I do as buying skis. I have that "All Mountain" ski that can take anything from powder to crusty crud, and everything in between with ease. No matter what the mountain/beach looks like when I show up, I'm confident that my tool is going to do its job. That's perfection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.