Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for another 4 weight. This rod shootout/comparison is four years old now; how do these summaries stack up against the 4 weights you like best? I've fished a (my build) GL2 490-2 for quite some time now - which to me is more like a light 5 weight. I really like the action and feel of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style very well. Since those are as rare as hens teeth, I'm wanting a back-up that mimic's it. I've casted the St. Croix Imperial and I like that rod -- other suggestions?

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/i...arison-4-weight-rod-review-hardy-sage-winston

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I used to own a whole quiver of 4 wts. My favorite was a Sage VT 2 8' 6". That little rod just seemed to do everything well. Nice feel, perfect for tossing emergers or soft hackles to cruising sippers on a lake, with enough power to throw reasonable sized streamers and even did some vertical presentation fishing with it. Always felt that was an often overlooked rod. No clue how available they are now though

·
Veðrfölnir
5,391 Posts
I'm in the market for another 4 weight. This rod shootout/comparison is four years old now; how do these summaries stack up against the 4 weights you like best? I've fished a (my build) GL2 490-2 for quite some time now - which to me is more like a light 5 weight. I really like the action and feel of this rod and it seems to fit my casting style very well. Since those are as rare as hens teeth, I'm wanting a back-up that mimic's it. I've casted the St. Croix Imperial and I like that rod -- other suggestions?

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/i...arison-4-weight-rod-review-hardy-sage-winston
What speed rods do you prefer?

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By any chance did the old G.Lommis Adventurer series morph into the GL2? I'm trying to remember but can't remember if they coexisted or separate?
I don't know that history. I purchased some of the GL2 blanks from Angler's Workshop; two 904-2, two 905-2 and one 905-4, when they were on sale. I built the 4 weights for myself and my wife and the others for friends... who will not sell them back to me... some friends :D. I also built some 905-4 Cabela FT blanks -- which at the time were purportedly made by Loomis. I will say they are very similar in taper, diameter, and casting feel.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I can't remember either. I remember casting the Adventurer which at the time was there entry level fly rod. But it disappeared and then it was the GL2 - GL3 - GLX - Trilogy- Nautikos- .......

·
Registered
198 Posts
What water/style etc are you using this to fish with? Dry fly/light nymphs only or heavier stuff frequently? Budget? Only new or used as well?

My favorite is Winston biit 8'6" 4wt Staff of Moses :)
Sage LL are pretty unbelievable as well. Scott G/G2 too.

If I was buying new, the Winston AIR or TMR rod would be my first choice, maybe a WT TMF as well if you aren't hooking big fish with it (rod is more of a 3.5 wt). I've heard nothing but good things from Winston GVX as well (cheaper. I also enjoy the Fenwick HMG a lot in its 8'6" 4wt, a really wonderful rod that is dirt cheap. Steffen Glass is pretty sick as well. It seems like a lot of other modern rods are really more of a 5wt branded as a 4wt FWIW...hence the lines being much heavier from RIO/Farbank/Sage. Takes some weight to get the stiffer rods to load and present at 15-30ft.

If shootouts are your thing, the Trident shootout resonated much much more with my personal experiences after casting many of the the same rods. I know a small handful of industry guys that work with/interact with George Andersen (Yellowstone shootout) and they are quick to point out of the strange bias...its still a data point tho.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.