Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get pet insurance? I am curious if you got it prior to or after an accident with your pet. So many companies out there, so if you did, who did you use.
Surgery for a broken ankle bone is going to cost between $3200-3600.
She is only 2-1/2 years old, and it will not heal properly without it. Already invested $600 for initial vet bills.
Thanks

·
614 Posts
I looked into it last year after my dog ate a pine cone. We ended up not getting it because it wouldn't cover pre-existing conditions and the ones that did cover pre-existing conditions were not worth it. I forget the name of the company, but there is a company who offers loans specifically for large vet bills. Your vet probably knows the name of it. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Pet insurance can be very good if you get it when your animal is very young. The more times the animal goes to the vet, the more "pre-existing" conditions can be cited as a means to reject your claim. We bought it when our pooch was fairly young but because he was previously at the vet and diagnosed with allergies, they basically found a way to reject every claim somehow able to tie it back to allergies. If you do get it, two of the larger players are VPI and Trupanion (a Seattle based company) and I've heard good things about Trupanion....but they are still an insurance company. Like anything related to insurance, it's always best to buy it when you don't need it.

Edit to add: If you are thinking of buying it to help you with your pet's upcoming broken bone bill, it won't help. Insurance companies would be bankrupt if folks were able to do this. It will only help for future issues that aren't deemed to be pre-existing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've got VPI for my lab, he's been covered since he was just a little fluffball. VPI is part of Nationwide, FWIW.

So far no complaints, but I haven't ever really used it either. I figure better safe than sorry, and really, when it comes to my dog, the peace of mind is worth the premium.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Anyone want a dog? Free!!!! Toy poodle and shih-tzu. Inbred. Friendly, loving, stupid (smart), belligerent, and afraid of everything. Basically, worthless for anything but making a mess. $65/6 weeks to groom. [Do they have grooming insurance?] And, kicks all night. Wife loves two snoring in her face. We've been trying to lose him for 13 years. He's starting to get those big fleshy (messy) bulb things old dogs have in the skin; probably going deaf and blind. Soon!

Please, put us out of our misery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Fucking dogs....we love the damn things, and every one of them guarantees...at some point...a broken heart.
"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices."

--Lord Byron, Epitaph to a Dog

·
livin' the dream
1,672 Posts
Anyone want a dog? Free!!!! Toy poodle and shih-tzu. Inbred. Friendly, loving, stupid (smart), belligerent, and afraid of everything. Basically, worthless for anything but making a mess. $65/6 weeks to groom. [Do they have grooming insurance?] And, kicks all night. Wife loves two snoring in her face. We've been trying to lose him for 13 years. He's starting to get those big fleshy (messy) bulb things old dogs have in the skin; probably going deaf and blind. Soon!

Please, put us out of our misery.
Best thing I've read all day

·
Been around
387 Posts
No idea who we use, but we have benefited from it. When one of my dogs was a puppy he broke the bone in his lower leg that connects his patella tendon to the upper. The tendon was completely disconnected from lower bone. Total bill for surgery and follow up appointments was $4000. We ended up getting reimbursed for 80%. Definitely worth the budgeted monthly expense to avoid the huge hit. The alternative was a three legged pup or no pup at all. I would definitely recommend it. If the injury has already occurred however, they won't cover it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Trupanion is a great company. They pay 90% of accident or illness and depending on the vet instant payment.
Pre-existing things excluded as well as well visits and shots. They do have a free 30 day trial and it's an opt in system not an opt out.
That means you don't even give a credit card number for the first 30 days. They have me convinced.

The thing about pet insurance is if you go to the vet and ask "What's the best thing I can do for XXX as opposed to asking what's
cheapest. Since you only pay 10% you will likely go for better care.

If it's just a work dog and you don't care don't buy insurance.
Ken

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
We looked into it back when we had two GR's and chose not too. I would guess we would have about broke even by the time both passed. We again chose not to buy insurance when we got Ruby. We did incur some big $$ just prior to her passing this past February, but in looking into the fine print, portions of those costs would not have been covered... so in the end, we probably would have saved some money, but not that much. If you have a breed with known, high risk, health issues you should definitely consider pet insurance, but as is the case with why insurance companies are usually very solvent, the odds are you will pay more than receive.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
i know there are more pet 'hospitals' in the Sequim region than treatment facilities for humans. my working dogs lived full and happy lives until their final days with some vet bills in between but nothing requiring the expense of 'insurance' for a dog. now if either of these working dogs had been AKC champions, well maybe i might look at things differently. but for me, a dog is a dog and nothing more.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.