Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 461 Posts

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stand a lazy rower. Sure, you don't have to dig the entire shift, but damnit when we are in good water I want you to be working on the sticks. Shit drives me nuts.

Also, clean your boots off before getting into my boat. I hate sand and dirt getting all over my fly line. Didn't your mom teach you to wipe your feet?

Do not spit your sunflower seeds all over my boat.

Speaking of boats, how 'bout you wash your fucking boat out every once and while. Disgusting.

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shuttle the vehicle, comeback...and you still wait to get your shit together. WTF!
No. shit. Nothing worse than when there is a line to get your boat out, you grab your truck, and back down only to find your friends still sitting on their asses and have done nothing to help. Don't worry guys, I'll get everything. You just sit there and look stupid.

Then the same friends will try to grab my strap after all the work is done and attempt to strap down the boat. At that point, please don't help. You will probably only fuck it up.

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
When I try to teach someone how to row and they can't stop rowing forwards to maneuver the boat. This actually drives me nuts. I've kicked people off the sticks for continually rowing forward when they shouldn't.

When people don't center themselves in the boat so it's always leaning to one side.

Trying to fish the exact same water as the other guy. This is especially frustrating when one guy is throwing a surface fly at a rising fish and the other dude dredges a nymph rig through and puts the fish down. Take turns and fish the top water first!

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I try to teach someone how to row and they can't stop rowing forwards to maneuver the boat. This actually drives me nuts. I've kicked people off the sticks for continually rowing forward when they shouldn't.
Yep, good way to flip a boat.

It takes time to learn how to properly row a boat, especially for a fisherman. I'm very selective with whom I teach anymore. I'm not going to invest the energy unless I know they are in it for the long haul.

Usually if someone tells me they want to learn how to row, I tell them to go buy a boat and learn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't stand a lazy rower. Sure, you don't have to dig the entire shift, but damnit when we are in good water I want you to be working on the sticks. Shit drives me nuts.

Also, clean your boots off before getting into my boat. I hate sand and dirt getting all over my fly line. Didn't your mom teach you to wipe your feet?

Do not spit your sunflower seeds all over my boat.

Speaking of boats, how 'bout you wash your fucking boat out every once and while. Disgusting.
This is my biggest pet peeve of all!!! I fucking hate rowers that sit there and don't slow the boat down just because they are tired or don't want to be on the sticks. I would rather row than sit there and try to nymph while the boat is hauling ass down the river.

I also hate guys that lost up right in the middle of the river (smaller rivers) then get pissed when you pass in front of them. There is only one way around you, assholes!!

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
When people don't center themselves in the boat so it's always leaning to one side.
BOOM!! ..Spot the 'F' on.. I've been threatening for years to fix a cheap plastic bubble level to the stripping brace.

To add one of my own, people that cannot quit quoting (before - during -and after) the latest 3 minute smart (dumb) phone weather update.. "there's a big blob of serious orange with some red shit coming our way" :eek::eek: ..leave that shit in the truck please

·
Registered
31 Posts

Trying to fish the exact same water as the other guy. This is especially frustrating when one guy is throwing a surface fly at a rising fish and the other dude dredges a nymph rig through and puts the fish down. Take turns and fish the top water first!
Do you really think that the nymph "puts them down" though? They think it is just another bug in the water, right? After all, that is what we are trying to achieve while fly fishing, right? I could understand a streamer; it being considered an intruder. Just food for thought. And sorry, I do that frequently. Not consiously. Just after them troots

·
Buenos Hatches Ese
1,585 Posts
Do you really think that the nymph "puts them down" though? They think it is just another bug in the water, right? After all, that is what we are trying to achieve while fly fishing, right? I could understand a streamer; it being considered an intruder. Just food for thought. And sorry, I do that frequently. Not consiously. Just after them troots
If the fish is sitting there looking straight up for bugs on the surface and sees a big pink bobber float through his lane, then yeah I think it can put it down. Slapping or dragging a fly on the surface can turn a fish off, so an indicator can easily do it too. If a fish is rising then you should let him see a dry fly before an indicator or your leader under the surface. If he doesn't eat it then blast the scuba gear at him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If the fish is sitting there looking straight up for bugs on the surface and sees a big pink bobber float through his lane, then yeah I think it can put it down. Slapping or dragging a fly on the surface can turn a fish off, so an indicator can easily do it too. If a fish is rising then you should let him see a dry fly before an indicator or your leader under the surface. If he doesn't eat it then blast the scuba gear at him.
Touché, touche. Didn't think about that indicator.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yeah - so simple even a caveman can do it - plan ahead and point the bow at what you don't want to hit and use your back stroke, layoff the forward stuff. 5 minutes later and he's back on the damn forward stroke...Geeezus!

Some people take forever getting their rod strung and all their crap together. I'm there to fish not get ready for some kind of fashion show....

A boat anchored in the middle of a smaller river that expects you to go thru an obstacle course to avoid "his" water...

1 - 20 of 461 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.