Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinkin about starting a new fly swap. Perhaps a "pet fly swap", and to my knowledge, has never been done before. For those of you who don't know what petfly's are...they are flies tied with your pets(primarily dogs and cats) hair. Is anyone interested? BTW, PETA don't come a running, it is about to be sheddin' season for my lab, and the hair is ready to be harvested.

~Ryan

Even the thousandsth trip to the same old familiar fished-out stream begins with renewed hope, with unfailing faith--Zane Grey

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pet-fly swap? That is so gross. I know from experience.

A couple of years ago I made streamer out of a tail section from my ex-girlfriend's persian. The hair is really fine, sparse, it doesn't stack for beans. You'll see what I mean if you try. Ugggh. Nasty! However, I haven't outruled a "kitty nymph" from off of the brush. It might make a pretty good dubbing... Maybe like a marmalade like Heathcliff or Garfield in a caddis pupae?

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I have tied a decent "Cat's ear" before, and it has produced some fish. Sparse, I tried the same thing as you, I tried tying a brown streamer out of my dogs tail hair, it was really strange to tie with, and ended up with something looking quite gross.

Even the thousandsth trip to the same old familiar fished-out stream begins with renewed hope, with unfailing faith--Zane Grey

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
Your ex-girlfriend's Persian? Did she go back to Iraq? :)

Flyfshnm, I thought you were going to say, "Sparse, I tied some flies out of your ex-girlfriend's kitty hair too!"

I've been thinking that navel lint would dub up a great carp fly.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Ya'll are some sick and twisted people. This topic is gross and uncouth. NOT the type of behavior a professional like myself would ever partake in. It's threads like this that give us a bad name. Chris, please kill this non-sense before it gets worse (can it get worse???:dunno ) YT

·
Registered
407 Posts
Well, I got really sick one day and, after my wife cut my youngest daughter's pretty blond hair, took some of it and made some streamers to be used for crappie. Took one out of my flybox a couple days later and just couldn't do it. Threw em away. Got to admit, a petfly swap is a truly original idea, don't see many original ideas around here.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
whatever. I can't believe Sparse actually removed his post, what a chump? So, Miss CWU, hows life in Ezburg? been out fishing? did you get a dead sunfish on your doorstep yet? :* YT When we going on are date?:rolleyes

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been speculating on the qualities of cat hair for some time. I come from rural America where the distinction between a pet and dinner is pretty thin. I understand it is not PC to consider using what is considered cuddly and cute for fishing materials, but my supply of seal from the late 70's has run out and I never liked rabbit all that much.

Anyway, I would be interested in some further info on cat hair as an alternative material for zonkers and streamers. Rob.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am down. Although I worry that dog hair flies will get stinky when they are wet.

My cat chester is a Maine **** and makes for some awesome dubbing. I have tied up a gold ribbed cats ears and chester stones.

I would tie up some of my brother-in-law's new pattern stone fly with his fur has he has nice downy fur with long guard hairs.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
THIS IDEA IS WRONG PEOPLE!!! You are all mental... I do have a lab and a beagle about ready to loose their winter coats...I will gather it all up and sell it to the highest bidder :smokin the auction will start tomorrow at noon.

~Patrick ><>

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
I'm not into the swap, but if you guys want some shed snake skins, beagle fur, or tarantula webbing, I can help out. :smokin No, I'm not kidding.

Now, as to the idea of a pet hair swap, one just got completed at the Virtual Fly Box. They aren't unusual at all. Sorry to break your bubble, but time to expand your horizons beyond the PNW fishing sites: www.virtualflybox.com.

Rob

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Dog hairwing

Well now Ryan, I tie a hairwing fly using the tail hair from my Border Collie. It has been successful catching Deer Creek steelies. KLS

"Besides egotism there is in every fisherman a humor, a certain loquaciousness, a friendly levity, an inclination to argument, an inexplicable sense of the pleasure in idling hours along a river, and a peculiar tendency toward exaggeration which he can recognize in his companion, but is rarely capable of seeing in himself."
Zane Grey

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, you did burst my bubble.... :bawling I thought I had a unique idea there...hmmm..let's see mebbe a natural materials fly swap. You try to make a fly without buying any of the materials...find the feathers, use shrubs,trees,etc or whatever suits the fancy. Dunno, I am still dumfounded that a petfly swap already occured.

~Ryan
Even the thousandsth trip to the same old familiar fished-out stream begins with renewed hope, with unfailing faith--Zane Grey:bawling :bawling

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.