Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

pike trip (long arm hero shot heavy)

Trip Report 
Tags
pike
5K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  mtskibum16 
#1 · (Edited)
Got off work 10 days ago around 3 30 and made the 8 hour pilgrimage home. Arrived at a campsite about 1 30 in the morning. Waking up to sun despite the forcast of rain was a great start. And starting off a pike trip with some trout fishing was a good confidence booster. Was joined by an old friend Saturday and got right to it.The forcasted bug hatch was very far off and for the first time in my life I successfully fished the San Juan worm. Proceeded to catch a dozen or so cookie cutter 12 to 14 inch browns, bows and Cutts for the next 48 hours. Had a great camp right on the water and saw a fair amount of wildlife in this location. Crowds were very light and confidence was high for the next part of the trip.
Plant Leaf Tree Fire Vegetation
Plant Glove People in nature Fisherman Salmon-like fish
Plant Plant community Bedrock Fawn Groundcover

Spent Monday visiting with grandparents and planning the rest of the week. The usual river sloughs we fish were inaccessible due to very high water from recent rains
Sky Water Ecoregion Natural landscape Wood

Tuesday was the only day with no plans, so after some phone calls and sweet talking guilt trips, a good friend 80 miles away was talked into skipping work and pursuing the first pike of the trip on an unknown lake to us. We were rewarded with more sun and 2 fish each. Couldn't have been a better day. Except my buddy snapped his work horse 6 wt on a fish. I got the opportunity to sight fish a pike. Once you see the wake on the top water when these fish commit to the fly, you are as hooked as this toothy basted was.
Cloud Water Sky Outerwear Vertebrate
Water Sky Boat Plant Cloud
Water Cloud Fish Lake Fisherman

Packed the gear back up and had to high tail it 200 miles to the family cabin we were allowed to use for the next three days. Met up with my two buddies and over drank like men do in the woods together the first night. This was going to be the main event of the trip.
The two brothers had their hearts set on fishing up above the reservoir we were going to target in an old family fishing spot, so we started there on Wednesday. This day was rough and really got the spirits down. They fished gear all day and caught 1 bass each. I threw flies all day and regardless of getting 4 hits, was only able to put one pike on the boat. The water was rising and getting browned up worse by the hour. Saw a couple wolf pups and casted our arms off. Ended this day with large steaks, a lot more beer, and very unsure of what to do the next day.
Water Sky Water resources Cloud Mountain
Photograph Organism Fisherman Crocodile Fish

Decided to push down the river into the reservoir on Thursday. We were rewarded. 10 fish put on the boat, and to all of our suprise... my flies had 70 percent of the hits. The fish were aggressive, hitting flies stripped fast and blowing up the water in ways I'd never seen. The most rewarding day of the trip... sunny weather, and fish. Finished the day with ribs on the BBQ and watching Grumpier old Men on VHS and a 9 inch screen. Very satisfied
Clothing Water Crocodile Smile Body of water
Photograph Gesture Water Thumb Terrestrial plant
Hand White Water Black Hat

Friday was almost as exciting with 8 more fish in the boat. (And one turtle). We were all exhausted and called it early that day. I snapped my new 8 weight and wasn't at all bummed. The warranty will cover and I had a 7 wt to back it up. Wrapped up with pizza and a 150 mile drive back to their home
Water Hat Food Beard Seafood

Water Vertebrate Crocodile Green People in nature
Writing implement Office supplies Line Red Material property
Water Crocodile Adaptation Hat Terrestrial animal

Woke up Saturday with. A fishing hangover. Shoulder dead, brain dead, and one more day to find fish. Scored a free breakfast and coffee visiting my buddies mom and hopped back in the truck. Headed to the river that was so blown out earlier in the week with hopes of scoring some fish in the sloughs. Got to the first slough and found mud all the way thru. Worked hard for an hour and found one fish there.
Water Water resources Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Water Fish Fin Tail Fisherman

Made a phone call and heard that a slough off of a slough downriver had some clear water and decided to head there. Little expectations after seeing the muddy water we just fished. But once again we were rewarded. Found a hole about 90 feet across and 2 feet deep with clear water and pike cruising in and out all afternoon. Picked up 4 more here and headed home for the night.
Water Crocodile Black Crocodilia Style
Crocodile American crocodile Alligator Crocodilia Nile crocodile

Woke up Sunday thinking we would work the same spot again. The fish were there but no bites. One big fish, easily the biggest fish we saw all trip followed the fly right to the boat, even following the musky figure 8 at the boat, 4 times! But those fish just wouldn't commit. I had to make the long trip back to Seattle so loaded up at noon, counted my blessings for the trip, fish, and friends, and headed home. 1900 miles in 10 days, two broken rods, countless cases of beer, and so many stories to share. Flies were a success
Arthropod Creative arts Insect Natural material Wing
Liquid Water Fluid Drinkware Picture frame
Terrestrial plant Feather Art Tire Insect

Thanks for reading! More pike to come in August and September. Hopefully a real big bruiser later this summer

See less See more
#3 ·
Ya we donated all the fish to the guy holding the turtle. He only got one fish on the trip and was hoping to take meat home for his family. He got two coolers worth of meat in the end and already had a fish fry for us before we headed home. I like the meat alot, just takes some practice learning how to fillet the y bones out.

#8 ·
Seriously the most rewarding trip for me! Tried flies last year and failed miserablybut ended the last day with a toad of a fish on gear... this year went with a bunch of new ties and the game was so much better, flies out fished the smelt guys 2 out of 3 days... I didn't think that was possible. Will be repeating this trip as much as possible for a bit!

#20 ·
Nice fish, C&C! And great fly tie! Those bottom 4 photos of fish (below the broken rod photo) look like tiger muskies to me. Montucky muskies....cool!

Jim B.

#25 ·
#26 ·
I've read thru that thread a couple times. I can't deny that especially the small fish looks like a tiger. The states website has a write up on tiger musky locations, and doesn't mention this particular watershed at all. I can't find any reports or fish lists that include tigers at all near there. Not sure what to make of it it. It almost looks like the spots have grown very tightly together in rows as opposed to stripes. I'll make some inquiries and update when I do

#31 ·
That's a great trip report. This time of year we go for pike as much as possible. They feed in the shallows and look up for about 3 weeks. A cloudy, low wind day and it's on. We have some really good and very rarely fished pike lakes nearby. 30 pike on top is a standard day right now. Some pike roll on the popper like a big brown, some just exploded on it and others come at it like a shark pushing a wake. It's an addiction. I wait for these few weeks all year long.

Attachments

#38 ·
Awsome! I was wondering about your trip coming up, only just read this report this morning! Nice looking place & fish! Sometimes when a pike is following & won't take, you have to stop the fly completely & the fish can get cranky & just bite it! My uncle puts pike fillets through a mincer so the few bones disapiere & makes pike meat balls, beautiful with garlic majonaise!:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.