Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the Pilchuck on Sunday morning and nothing but chums and a few small trout either cutts or dollies, don't know. I was just wandering if anyone else has gone out there since sunday and if anyone has been into some steelies? Thanks, Harley
Went out again this morning and got into some chums and one silver, finally saw a steelie come into the hole, no luck with him. Harley :DUNNO

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts
being politically correct sucks

is the pilchuck fly fishing only? i am only inquiring because my fishing buddies are gear chuckers (the good kind i swear!) and i hate fishing by my lonesome. also, where did you access? i was thinking under the bridge at snohomish. the river is packed with chums but i dont complain when one of those brutes grabs my steelhead fly. it beats pounding the water for hours without anything. ill be out either thursday or friday before i hit the sky on sunday. thanks in advance.

~sean~

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

The Pilchuck is only open for trout and no smaller than 14". Please leave the Chum alone. I notice that you want to fish for Chum when ever some one mentions that they are there. If I was you I would get a new set of the regs to replace the one that fell in the river and read it on where it is legal to fish for Chums. And the Pilchuck is open to all types of fishing.

One mad old man :TSKTSK

Jim

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went out again with my 6 year old and I have to admit it was with spinning rods and worms. Was trying to get him into some of the src that are stacked in the holes. Caught three src, one dollie and got him hooked into a chum (first one in his little life so far) and he laughed the whole twenty minutes that we fought it. Took photos and then released it. We have been fishing at the OK Mill Road bridge. Probably go out again tomorrow morn with the wife and our fly rods. The Dollie was 17.5". Biggest I've ever caught. Harley
When I get photos developed of my boy with the chum I'll post them. Quite a proud papa. The chum (I'm estimating here) was around 30-35", probably 15-17lbs. Harley

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Fished That hole below the Bridge where that big pine tree is and caught my biggest steelhead a 12lb'er. But sad to say it was on gear. I only started fly fishing for them this last winter in January after I broke my favorite spinning rod. Now I go with flies all the way.

Jim

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts

sorry old man for stepping on toes. thanks for setting me straight. that will be my last regs question i suppose. i use this site as my only resource since it is so convieniently located within my household. instead maybe i will include a new set of fishing regs in my arsenal. pilchuck = trout only, cool, i thought it was steelies also since that is what i assumed people were targeting when i drove by. i was hoping for my first winter run and i was considering any chums accidental.

~sean~

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts

Just one more time and I will leave you alone A Steelhead is a trout. It is just one that goes out to sea and comes back usually every two or three years and some times every year. But you can only keep the hatchery ones the natives have to go back. Just like the Dollies and the Sea Run Cutts.

I have one question for all of you that fish the Pilchuck river. According to the "Regs" it doesn't say anything about not keeping natives. Any emergency regs out there that we don't know about. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Jim

Edit: I must be getting dumb. On page 57 it tells me what I can and cannot do. Release of WILD STEELHEAD and DOLLY VARDEN/BULL TROUT is required year-round in freshwater areas, unless specifically exempted in the Special rules.

Jim

·
Flaccid Member
3,875 Posts

thanks old man for clearing that up. ill head out soon to try and hook a steely or two. a hot, fresh steely on a such a small river would be insane. without anywhere to go i bet they run like hell back to the sound. man that would be sweeeeet. small water is my favorite kind of fishing.

~sean~

·
Registered
96 Posts
i grew up in snohomish, and fished the pilchuck from 5th grade through the first few years after bodlt. a friend once hooked a 12# buck under the dubuque bridge, and chased that fish close to 400 yards down stream, many times coming close to being spooled. fortunately he had waders. i once saw 3 guys, each fighting a fish, all in the same 100 yard stretch of river. used to be some really nice cutts in feb. many times i hooked 10-20# steelhead while drifting nightcrawlers for cutts, using a 6' spinning rod and 8# line. once while fishing for cutts, i caught 5 fish for 5 cast, the first 3 were smolts, the 4th a 16" cutt, and the 5th a 15-18# steelhead. that steelie walked all over the place, then bolted for the tailout, turned it the first time, remember seeing it spin in the current above the rapid the second time and hearing the snap of the line... once saw a 50-60# king laying next to the bank in about 3' of water, black as a lost soul. hooked one of similar size once, on a nightcrawler, with the trout rod. in a word, relentless, and gone a minute later. some older gents told me the pil had a run of silvers thick enough to walk on in bygone days. often saw remnants of that run during nov-dec while trapping and fishing. these gents remembered when the limit was 6 steelhead a day, and the fellow who told me this said that the day before he left for ww2, he caught a double limit, to see if he could do it, and because he though he may never come back to fish again. "besides", he said, "they couldn't arrest me, i was shipping out the next morning". he said that a 20# fish was common place, not a big deal. the locals would have to watch for out of towners following them to their fishing holes. the limit on ducks was 25 a day, he, his dad and brothers would shoot so many, mainly mallards, that he said the ducks covered the kitchen floor to the point that you couldn't see the floor itself! great memories on a great little stream. have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.