Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Mark Steudel
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the beginnings of planning a 4 day trip to Dillon, MT at the end of September. I was planning on exploring the following rivers while I'm down there:
* Beverhead
* Big hole
* Poindexter Slough

We usually end up doing 1 or 2 days with a guide and then DIY after that.

Questions:
1. What are some good guides/fly shops down there?
2. Any other piece of water I should check out or avoid? I read that there are two other private spring creeks anyone know the cost and is it worth it to fish em? I'm assuming at that time of year the bigger rivers are mostly streamers and nymphing? Are the spring creeks more dry fly?
3. Suggestions on a single house that could house 6 - 8 guys or other suggestions on lodging?
4. Seems like the bigger rivers at that time of year it's mostly streamer and nyphming.
5. What level of rower should you be to row your own boat down the beaverhead and big hole?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi All,

I'm in the beginnings of planning a 4 day trip to Dillon, MT at the end of September. I was planning on exploring the following rivers while I'm down there:
* Beverhead
* Big hole
* Poindexter Slough

We usually end up doing 1 or 2 days with a guide and then DIY after that.

Questions:
1. What are some good guides/fly shops down there?
2. Any other piece of water I should check out or avoid? I read that there are two other private spring creeks anyone know the cost and is it worth it to fish em? I'm assuming at that time of year the bigger rivers are mostly streamers and nymphing? Are the spring creeks more dry fly?
3. Suggestions on a single house that could house 6 - 8 guys or other suggestions on lodging?
4. Seems like the bigger rivers at that time of year it's mostly streamer and nyphming.
5. What level of rower should you be to row your own boat down the beaverhead and big hole?

Thanks in advance!
Frontier Anglers. Tim Tollet. Very helpful to me in the past as well as a good resource for a couple of private waters.

·
Banned
10,660 Posts
Flows can be super low in late September on the Big Hole. So you will be limited on which stretches you can float and even then I'd recommend being solid on the sticks. Otherwise you will beat the shit out of your hard boat.

Beaverhead might still be mossy so be prepared for that.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
The way the snow is melting the Big Hole could be closed by the end of September. The Big Hole and the Beaverhead are best fished from a boat of some kind. The Beaverhead can be waded from the access's below the Dam. You get below Barrett's and your pretty well out of wading fishing.

Poindexter Slough is almost like Rocky Ford Creek. You can get your feet wet in it. Good fishing but it gets pounded pretty hard in the Summer time.

You could fish the Ruby Good fishing on the upper part. RB's Cutts, a few Browns and Grayling. But there is also Grayling in the Big Hole.

I'm pretty sure that Mark knows me. We've both been around here forever.

Edit: I know a few spring creeks but my lips are sealed. At least on here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
These guys are full of shit, it will fish well in a boat both rivers you mentioned, lower big hole pennigton bridge to Hells gate on the Jeff will be your prize with streamers. The problem you have is people feeding you shit, Dillon is sportsmens paradise and the college chicks are easy game.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.