Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Planning a trip in the fall to Dillon, MT

Tags
a fall in mt to trip
6K views 61 replies 22 participants last post by  McKivergan 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the beginnings of planning a 4 day trip to Dillon, MT at the end of September. I was planning on exploring the following rivers while I'm down there:
* Beverhead
* Big hole
* Poindexter Slough

We usually end up doing 1 or 2 days with a guide and then DIY after that.

Questions:
1. What are some good guides/fly shops down there?
2. Any other piece of water I should check out or avoid? I read that there are two other private spring creeks anyone know the cost and is it worth it to fish em? I'm assuming at that time of year the bigger rivers are mostly streamers and nymphing? Are the spring creeks more dry fly?
3. Suggestions on a single house that could house 6 - 8 guys or other suggestions on lodging?
4. Seems like the bigger rivers at that time of year it's mostly streamer and nyphming.
5. What level of rower should you be to row your own boat down the beaverhead and big hole?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi All,

I'm in the beginnings of planning a 4 day trip to Dillon, MT at the end of September. I was planning on exploring the following rivers while I'm down there:
* Beverhead
* Big hole
* Poindexter Slough

We usually end up doing 1 or 2 days with a guide and then DIY after that.

Questions:
1. What are some good guides/fly shops down there?
2. Any other piece of water I should check out or avoid? I read that there are two other private spring creeks anyone know the cost and is it worth it to fish em? I'm assuming at that time of year the bigger rivers are mostly streamers and nymphing? Are the spring creeks more dry fly?
3. Suggestions on a single house that could house 6 - 8 guys or other suggestions on lodging?
4. Seems like the bigger rivers at that time of year it's mostly streamer and nyphming.
5. What level of rower should you be to row your own boat down the beaverhead and big hole?

Thanks in advance!
Frontier Anglers. Tim Tollet. Very helpful to me in the past as well as a good resource for a couple of private waters.

#12 ·
The way the snow is melting the Big Hole could be closed by the end of September. The Big Hole and the Beaverhead are best fished from a boat of some kind. The Beaverhead can be waded from the access's below the Dam. You get below Barrett's and your pretty well out of wading fishing.

Poindexter Slough is almost like Rocky Ford Creek. You can get your feet wet in it. Good fishing but it gets pounded pretty hard in the Summer time.

You could fish the Ruby Good fishing on the upper part. RB's Cutts, a few Browns and Grayling. But there is also Grayling in the Big Hole.

I'm pretty sure that Mark knows me. We've both been around here forever.

Edit: I know a few spring creeks but my lips are sealed. At least on here.

#18 ·
These guys are full of shit, it will fish well in a boat both rivers you mentioned, lower big hole pennigton bridge to Hells gate on the Jeff will be your prize with streamers. The problem you have is people feeding you shit, Dillon is sportsmens paradise and the college chicks are easy game.

#41 ·
End of September this year I see no problem fishing these rivers without restrictions, floating and CATCHING fish with streamers... that's my opinion to all the experts among this board. That's why I say your full of shit
It's still too early to say, that's what we have been learning the last ten years or so as we seem to be having very warm springs that burn off our snowpack much earlier than in the past.
Last year we were looking good as far as snowpacks were concerned and then it all burned off early. That could happen this year as well and if it's a hot dry summer which it seems to be more often than not these days we could be looking at restrictions on the Big Hole again and in bad years they sometimes aren't lifted until late Sept. early Oct.

And then there is this ongoing issue with the Beav. that seems likely to be a result of warmer temperatures in the summer.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...r-beaverhead-river-hurts-outfitters/97851070/

I wouldn't discourage the OP from going on his trip but I would suggest they plan on being flexible and having a back up plan like the upper Madison or H. Fork if things are bad in the Dillon area.
The Jeff is usually heavily dewatered and hot at that time of the year I wouldn't plan on fishing it at all unless we have a cooler and wetter September. Last year at the beginning of Sept. it was in the 30cfs range (Parsons) which is just a trickle between pools with water temps hitting the 70s in August.
Pretty fucking depressing.

But yes, usually by the end of September they begin shutting down irrigation in the upper valley and water levels rise a bit and night time temps and shorter days bring the water temps down...usually...don't count on it.
If I was planning that trip from afar and this early I'd feel more comfortable with early October as far as the Big Hole is concerned.

#42 ·
It's still too early to say, that's what we have been learning the last ten years or so as we seem to be having very warm springs that burn off our snowpack much earlier than in the past.
Last year we were looking good as far as snowpacks were concerned and then it all burned off early. That could happen this year as well and if it's a hot dry summer which it seems to be more often than not these days we could be looking at restrictions on the Big Hole again and in bad years they sometimes aren't lifted until late Sept. early Oct.

And then there is this ongoing issue with the Beav. that seems likely to be a result of warmer temperatures in the summer.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...r-beaverhead-river-hurts-outfitters/97851070/

I wouldn't discourage the OP from going on his trip but I would suggest they plan on being flexible and having a back up plan like the upper Madison or H. Fork if things are bad in the Dillon area.
The Jeff is usually heavily dewatered and hot at that time of the year I wouldn't plan on fishing it at all unless we have a cooler and wetter September. Last year at the beginning of Sept. it was in the 30cfs range (Parsons) which is just a trickle between pools with water temps hitting the 70s in August.
Pretty fucking depressing.

But yes, usually by the end of September they begin shutting down irrigation in the upper valley and water levels rise a bit and night time temps and shorter days bring the water temps down...usually...don't count on it.
If I was planning that trip from afar and this early I'd feel more comfortable with early October as far as the Big Hole is concerned.
Spot on.

Better have other options available or you could be very disappointed.
And I wouldn't rule out forest fires with lots of smoke if an early run-off continues...

#43 ·
I'm not a scientist. But common sense would tell you that the released water in the summer time is the snow melt from the last spring runoff. It's heavier than
the rain water and sinks to the bottom of the reservoir. Where it is released for irrigation.

This is just an opinion of an old man and should not be taken seriously.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

#44 ·
You come on here and right off the bat you are giving the people here a line of shit. If you can't be helpful. Why don't you tell us a little about yourself, That way we can all form an opinion on you and you can then got to hell.
Obviously with your three posts you have proven to be a credible resource.

So now I'm curious, what are you basing your opinion on?
Looks like a swoop in, troll, and swoop out...good riddance.

#45 ·
No I'm not one and done

Myself I get tired of people saying that, this is what you should do, cant do, because I'm from Montana and a person gets on this board asking for advice, hoot hours, low flows,fires ...da da da.

And I laugh everyone that posts are transplants from WA or some hole back east, IMO there's better rivers in Wyoming and Idaho. Why waste your time and put up with your shit.

#49 ·
Lets learn some shit that may change me.... why would an outfitter use a public resource for profit and yet give nothing back? Why is MFWP so concerned with outfitters in input on fisheries to sway public opinion?

What I will say is this, I want people to fish MT like i did as a kid, something you'll never forget and I'm pretty passionate about fishing in montana. Yep I'm not done.

#53 ·
I've seen many reputable outfitters sponsoring river clean ups, clinics, and the list goes on and on.

Perhaps MFWP recognizes the fact that outfitters are out on the water on a daily basis, keeping records etc, so why should they not seek input from them on the fishery?

The past is the past. You can wish for it, dwell on it or move on. Your choice.

Telling everybody that they are full of shit say's more about you than it does us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.