Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks I finally have a day off, tomorrow. I really want to get a fly wet. Living downtown, could someone suggest a place on the snoqual thats close and has easy access.

Also some fly suggestions for me and my virgin 6wt would be appreciated.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
I'm assuming you are talking about summer steelies since you'll be using a 6wt. A 6wt on the forks would be way overkill on those little dinks.

Soooo - I suggest heading to the mouth of the tolt river in carnation, or the mouth of the raging in fall city. Both have gravel bars that should give you some casting room from the other anglers. Fall city will have a little more I think - plus you could work up the raging a few hundred yards if you want.

Fly selection is going to depend on what the water is like tomorrow. If it is running high and or colored, go with bigger and darker flies - like maybe a black or purple egg sucking leech. If the water is lower and clear, something like a green butt skunk should be OK. Surface patterns probably won't work too well this early in the season - but I really haven't been out for steelies much yet, so others can help out with more specifics. Basically just work on your presentation and make sure you are working your fly in the right water. The fly patter matters little if you are not showing it to any fish...

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Now there are places to fish between Carnation and Fall City, but we all earned them, and we aren't giving them out. We just don't want 75 Seattlites at our favorite holes.

The other "public place" is down stream of the Tokul Creek Hatchery. I forget the road name that gets you there, but a good map will show it off.

Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks I'll let you know how it goes. BTW I don't care at this point whether I land a thing. Just want to log some time on the water and practice. Catching as always is a bonus.

PS I'll try to make a good name for us seattleites and not crowd the locals out of their spots:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well today was my first on the water alone. Although I din't land a fish I did get several hook ups. And missed one nice trout just as I was finishing up the day on the SF snoqualmie. The smaller guys seemed to be taking the dries and the larger one chased a small BH Nymph. Saw a couple of others on the water but didnt ask how they were doing.

·
Be the guide...
5,190 Posts
Oops - looks like I was wrong. you were after the trout... Well, you picked a decent area to start. Next time try a different spot, and the next time yet another. Over time, you'll start building a list of favorite spots and find yourself heading to those more often. Have fun exploring :) If you have a little more time, start exploring the NF and MF areas too. A good starting point is just N of NBend where the 3 forks meet. I think it's called 3 rivers park or something. Not a hot fishing spot by any means, but a good starting point. Each trip just look for the next access point farther up the river until you find yourself at the headwaters. Then you'll be the one helping others find some good water :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I must say you are correct about the 6 wt being too much. I need a lighter rig.

After fishing I drove way up the middle fork. Didn't see too many fishing but as I crossed the bridge about 3 miles up the gravel I ran into another fly guy and he gave me some good tips. I think I will fish it monday if the weather holds and the flows are okay.

BTW would have steelheaded but it seems that things are way slow right now and wanted to at least feel a tug. Which I accomplished. Maybe next week I will try the steelies

Thanks for your input. And if anyone is off Monday and looking for company send me a note.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.