Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
This very much looks like a good idea. Umm... and, yes, it ain't no bot hijack. I did TOFTT. It's cool.

BTW, I used to work for NOAA, back in the late 1980s. They mean well, but sometimes shite gets messed up with them. Typically it's lack of targeted funding for the science to doing things right. Other than that, it's often bureaucratic BS. In this case, it's probably the latter. All the scientists I met were doing their darned best.

Reactions: phuck this

·
Wishin I was on the Sauk
4,449 Posts
There was a bio that worked for NOA the would come into the shop once in awhile, and I asked him how it was to work there and said the same thing, bust your ass to be ignored by burocrats, and was to big to be effective in making quick decisions.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I'm becoming increasingly sympathetic to the fish bios out there. They do a lot of good work and advise the decision-makers to the best of their abilities, yet year after year, they have to watch the decisions get made according to what gets the real advisors (commercial processors) paid.

I saw a post on another forum this morning about the Pacific decadal oscillation (PDO) patterns off our coast, and so far, upwelling is net negative for the year. Following up last year's horrible conditions with another year as bad or worse is going to mean really bad things for whatever smolts are migrating out this year. As the poster put it, 2017 is likely to make 2016 look like the "good old days," as the results of two generations of coho and three age classes of Chinook being affected by a hostile ocean take shape.

Where does this information come from? That's right... NOAA. That NMFS, fully aware of the situation, is authorizing ANY salmon fisheries this season tells you all you need to know about how the deciders weigh commerce vs. conservation. As for me, I've gone from being angry that sport fishers are losing so much opportunity this year to thinking they should shut the whole thing down until we see the fish gaining traction instead of losing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.