The wanted posters say Tim Hartman
2,100 Posts
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

August 2, 2016

Salmon season closes Aug. 5 in Marine Area 9

Action: Closes salmon fishing in Marine Area 9 (Admiralty Inlet), excluding the Edmonds Public Fishing Pier.

Effective Date: 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 5, through 11:59 p.m. Monday, Aug. 15, 2016.

Species affected: Salmon.

Reason for action: Preliminary estimates indicate that anglers had caught 2,898 fish, or 95 percent, of the chinook quota of 3,056 fish for Marine Area 9. WDFW anticipates the remaining quota will be caught by the time the fishery closes. The chinook fishery is being closed to control impacts on stocks of concern and ensure compliance with conservation objectives and agreed-to management plans.

Other information: The catch estimates and quotas for marine areas 9 and 10 can be found at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/reports_plants.html.

Anglers can fish for chinook in other Puget Sound marine areas, including areas 5 (Sekiu and Pillar Point), 6 (east Juan de Fuca strait), 7 (San Juan Islands), 10 (Seattle/Bremerton), 11 (Tacoma-Vashon Island), south of Ayock Point in area 12 (Hood Canal), and Tulalip Terminal Area.

Marine Area 9 is scheduled to reopen in November for chinook.

For specific regulations, anglers should consult the 2016-17 Washington Sports Fishing Rules pamphlet available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/.

Information contact: Ryan Lothrop, (360) 902-2808

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
This year I decided I could not keep up with all the rules/stipulations, etc so I signed up with the WDFW to get rules change/notices/emergency closures/etc. I usually get 2-3 emails a week in a easy to read 4 point type :rolleyes: helping to keep me informed and current. Having a regulations book is of little value when you are having weekly changes. Use it has a guide at best. It is somewhat difficult trying to know when, where, and what you can/can't fish on certain bodies of water.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don't receive updates, but I think you can fish for SRC, per Spring clarifications of non-salmon status.

Area 11 (Tacoma/Vashon) closes 8/20/16 to same.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
I don't receive updates, but I think you can fish for SRC, per Spring clarifications of non-salmon status.
Yep, open for searun at PNP.
Marlin, Dorado and Tuna as well.....
SF

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can I fish there on Friday?
After what I saw today, I'm guessing you can fish there. While I was there there were three fisherman tossing buzz bombs from shore and a row boat out near the rip jigging. I called the poaching hotline and got a recording that said the were closed on weekends and to dial 911 to report violations. I did that and after being transferred to three different dispatch centers I was connected to the State Patrol. They took my information down and said they would notify the local warden. A little over an hour later they were still a no show. So I called again and requested for a second time a warden respond. I was told they were notified when I first called, but they would notify them again. I didn't wait around and I'm not holding my breath they bother to respond. So from what I experienced today I would say go ahead........

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
They probably showed up eventually, but they have a lot on their plates. I'm guessing there are a lot of people that just don't know. It's not an excuse for their behavior, but simply mentioning it to them would probably work. Smartly placed signs would help, but it's not like I go over and read the sign board every time I'm there. Although at this point the regs are actually correct so there's really no excuses.

·
This work thing keeps getting in the way
327 Posts
Next time just let them know salmon fishing is closed (much faster). A sign in the parking lot would be helpful.
I tried that when I saw 2 younger guys keep a coho when MA 9 was open, they ingorned my comments. They did however haul a** when they saw me on my phone. we just dont have enough fish cops to do anything about it, nor do I think the other departments think its a real priority.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Is was not that long ago when few knew of the fishing there. After a couple articles, books, internet salvo....well, it's not the same. But still decent. Just don't tell anyone of the other thing there please :p

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please pardon my stupidity, but could someone please tell me if it is legal for me to target Coho from the shore in Marine Areas 7 and 8.1 (Deception Pass, etc). I was just hoping to do some C&R with my new switch rod. I find the WDFW site to be incredibly confusing. It doesn't say there are any emergency closures, so am I to assume it's open for fishing now? Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.