Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am home visting my folks and was thinking about doing some fly fishing off of Point No Point this weekend. Any and all tips, hints and advice is welcome.

Thank you in advance...

beer is proof that there is a god, and fly fishing proves that he loves us.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I have had the best luck at tide changes stripping just about any streamer fairly fast. I have never fished early but a local told me he fishes early AM just before and after dawn and does well consistantly. I like to fish right in the rip edges.

Randy

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hit it when there is some good tidal movement - I prefer just after low tide, or at dawn and dusk. Clousers in #6 size - chartreuse and white, all white, pink and white, olive and white,and sand lance imitations all work, as well as surface poppers.

Line type is not as critical - a camo full intermediate is my favorite but you can easily use a floater with a weighted clouser or anything up to a Type 3 sinktip.

Note that the catch area 9 is not open until July 16...but there are some hungry flounders up there.

Jim W

·
Registered
805 Posts
with the warning that when asked by the game officer (and the Point is on their circuit), you state that your are fishing for a fish that is actually OK to pursue per the regs - thus the pursuit of the wiley and elusive flounder.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You gotta be careful which species you say you are targeting. Five years ago I went out to PNP 3 days prior to the opening of Marine Area 9 to see if it would be worth fishing when it opened. There were 2 gear chuckers and 4 fly fishers on the beach and they were hitting a few silvers. But after watching them for about an hour I decided the fishing wasn't spectacular so I went back to the parking lot to go scout some other beaches I like. I got to my car just as a Game Warden pulled up. I figured this would be interesting especially with the gear guys so I followed him as he went down to the beach.

He immediately ticketed the gear guys (and confiscated their rods). Then he surprised me by going down and ticketing the fly fishers. They argued that they were fishing for searuns but the Game Warden said there aren't any searuns at PNP (I've caught some there, albeit not many so I know this isn't entirely true!) and he proceded to write them up. By the time he got to the third fly fisherman, the fourth guy had broken down his gear and headed off down the beach at a fast walk. The Game Warden eventually went off down the beach after him but he had a pretty good head start and was near the bluffs way down the beach when the chase began. Don't know how that ever ended.

Moral of the story - do like surfcandy says and at least tell the warden your after something that you realistically have a chance of catching in the area. Personally since I saw the above incident I have learned to love to fishing for bullheads!;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
My personal philosophy is: If its closed to salmon, its closed, PERIOD. Stillwateraddict gets my 10-points for hitting the nail on the head. No need to try to BS your way through a closed fishery.

Greg

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,781 Posts
I think the important issue here is, firstly, that you know the area regulations before you go fishing there.And check for rules changes. And secondly that if you do go there ,(during the closed season for salmon), and fish legally for sea run cuthroat trout, then that is what you should say if asked. If you were lying about that then it would be a differant matter entirely.And of course you would deserve to be ticketed.

And if a warden ticketed me for cutthroat fishing legally I would pursue the issue in court. I fish for cutties there often, year round, and use no hooks larger than size 6 and a 5x tippett. I would show up with a parade of witnesses and make a big stink over it. And I would get every jerk that ever jerked on the northbound end of a fly rod to go fishing there for cutthroats with me, have a big cutthroat
fly fishers extravaganza!

The regulations allow us to fish for sea run cutthroat trout in the area year round,(actually the rules state "trout year round ".)

So why would you have to worry about "what to say" when you can just tell the truth and stand behind that.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Greg - I agree with you regarding not targeting species in areas that are closed. The season on salmon is closed for a reason. But the regs do allow me to fish year round for SRCs which are my favorite fish to pursue. I have caught them in areas which are not supposed to hold good numbers of them but they are there none the less.

I guess I didn't state my point very well but what I was basically trying to say was this: In order to avoid the hassles in an area closed to salmon but open to other species, I will tell a Game Warden that I'm fishing for something common. Little Stone has a great point however, in that you shouldn't have to lie about what you are fishing for but sometimes I would rather not have to face the headache of "raising a stink" about it.

I apologize if I gave anyone the wrong impression about targeting a species in a closed season.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
This is pretty much the reason I am asking for a WDFW rule change allowing year-round fishing from the beach.

I remember a few years ago while I was fishing for cutts at PNP when a WDFW boat pulled up offshore. The agent got on the bullhorn and asked what I was fishing for. I answered, "searun cutthroat!" He asked me if I had any in possession and I said no. Then he asked me to show him my license. I took it out and held it up for him to see. I could seem him working real hard to keep his binoculars trained on my little license while his boat rocked and rolled under his feet. Then he thanked me and they roared away. Yea, right.

Leland

·
Registered
729 Posts
fish tide changes and early am 4:30-6:00 when the wind and water is flat and the bait is close and salmon are chasing, thats the ideal time to fish point no point.

saltwater flyfishing in the northwest is a science as well as an art

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.