Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Should be fishing
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is, polarized sunglass lenses that change tint with changing light. They are called some other things as well, but I'm mainly after info on Smith's offerings.

Anyone using Smith's polarchromic lenses?

Are they really worth the cost?

Any other less expensive "auto tinting" lenses out there that actually work?

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I like my Smith sun glasses and would buy them again if need be. However what is good for me may not be good for someone else. In that I feel I get good value for cost you may not feel the same way. Some people are perfectly happy with the $20 offerings. I can wear my Smith's all day and not have eye strain, I can't say that for lesser quality sun glasses.

The only way to know if you want to spend the dollars for high quality sun glasses is to try them.

Dave

·
This work thing keeps getting in the way
327 Posts
Ive been using Smith for about 15 years and love them Several different pairs depending on mood and light conditions. You need to get the glass option, the plastic are okay but scratch over time
Going back 25+ years fishing the Fl Keys, it was the rose colored Sunclouds. I hated the day I broke them and the company was no longer in business. They are not the same stuff which is on the market now.

·
Newb seeking wisdom
726 Posts
I have owned two pairs of Smith (glass) Polarchromic lenses over the past years.
The quality is excellent, of both the frames and the lenses.
The amber is a great all-round tint, as I wear polarized glasses in summer and winter.
I went with a slightly lighter tint with my second pair and they adjust nicely with change in lighting.
If I lived on the water or wore these all day every day, I might opt for a darker tint.
Polarchromic works but does need direct light exposure to adjust.
Inside your car, it won't detect whatever light is required to change the density.

·
dead drifting into thread drift
5,755 Posts
I have two pairs of Smith sunglasses, one is standard polarized amber, and the other is polarchromic glass amber lenses. Those are the ones I always wear because of eye strain (or lack thereof), clarity (extremely clear) & versatility (handles a wide range of light conditions). They are my fishing glasses, driving glasses, my do everything glasses...totally worth the extra cost IMO.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the Smith ChromoPop polarchromic lenses and love them. So easy on the eyes I forget I'm wearing sunglasses. With my old glasses, also Smith, there was always this point late in the day when I thought is was getting dark, until I took the glasses off. The polarchromic keeps things brighter later.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Go to a local welding supply company, and purchase the polarized glass they sell. Most are ballistic in nature and very high quality for the price. I wear Jackson nemesis polarized and they are just as good as other lens I have used, and they are only 25-30$

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got Smiths with glass polarchromic copper lenses and love them. I'll leave them on right up to dark and just keep on fishing. On the strength of a really, really good sale and how much I love those lenses I got a pair of their Chromapops. Those aren't glass and I like them slightly less, but still enough to wear every day as I save my glass ones for fishing. Are they worth it? 100% up to you. I keep buying them and am waiting to find a deal on their low light "ignitor" lenses, but then again I keep them around for years and don't lose them.

·
Flounder Pounder
240 Posts
Photochromic doesn't blow my mind for fishing, better for skiing, biking and climbing IMO. Things where you can transition from very bright to dark quickly.

That said Smith ChromaPop is hot dope, especially in brown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.